585,969 active members*
4,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC stopped working

Hi can somebody help me please?
    I built my CNC machine about 14 years ago. Up until about 2 months ago, the machine had run perfectly. Then, when I switched it on, none of the axes would run properly. The motors would jerk and move just fractions of an inch. There was a bleep, bleep, bleep sound coming from the motors instead of the usual high-pitched whine. After 20 – 30 minutes, the high-pitched whine would return and the machine would work perfectly.
    Today, the machine did not work at all.
    Because all 3 motors have the same symptoms, I believe the problem is in my control box. The stepper drivers have been working perfectly, so I am left to wonder if it could be the breakout board, or the charge pump.

Can anybody suggest what it might be, because I am a little challenged when it comes to electronics?

Thanks,

Gareth

Re: CNC stopped working

You give no details about your machine, so any answer would be a wild guess. Power supply maybe?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I examined my CNC control box today. It consists of the following components: –
    3 leadshine stepper drivers
    1 breakout board
    1 x 12v/5v power supply
    1 x 68v power supply

When switched on, everything tested okay. But then I connected the control box to the PC and Mach 3. As soon as the reset button on Mach 3 was powered on, all 3 stepper drivers started flashing red. This indicates a fault. I tested the power supply, which had been previously reading 68 v and it was reading overload. As I said before, I am electronically challenged. My gut instinct is that it's the breakout board.

Can anybody offer some advice please?

Thanks, Gareth

It could be the 68V power supply is failing, or maybe one of the drives has failed. I would disconnect power from the drives, one at a time, to see if a drive has failed. I would not expect the breakout board to cause the symptoms that you describe.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It could be the 68V power supply is failing, or maybe one of the drives has failed. I would disconnect power from the drives, one at a time, to see if a drive has failed. I would not expect the breakout board to cause the symptoms that you describe.
    Hi Jim, you were right: – it was the 68v power supply. My friend put an oscilloscope on the power supply. As soon as a load was applied the signal crashed the whole thing went crazy. Fitted a new power supply today and everything working fine.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers, Gareth

Happy to hear you got it going again. :cheers:

My pleasure to help out where I can.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth52 View Post
    Hi Jim, you were right: – it was the 68v power supply. My friend put an oscilloscope on the power supply. As soon as a load was applied the signal crashed the whole thing went crazy. Fitted a new power supply today and everything working fine.
    I'll bet it was a SMPS version, I never use those for AMP power, the linear variety are a little more $$$ but worth it in the end, it often comes out even after you have replaced a few!
    Even most of the drive manuf. agree.
    Real easy to fix, IF they ever do quit!
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.