584,865 active members*
4,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > Noob Question Regarding Mechanical Origin

Question Noob Question Regarding Mechanical Origin

Hi there. I'm going to be completely honest and say up front, I knew absolutely nothing about CNC machines last week when I was tasked with figuring out how to turn a large CNC machine into something we could use. Hours of reading the Manual and Google and a little trial and error later, I can somewhat successfully run a G Code file.

Somewhat being the problem. My main issue is the 'Return to Origin' function when the machine starts up (NK105 G3 is the handheld device). It will reach is physical limit, starts making noise since it cant move any further on the Y axis, but the handheld keeps registering movement.
    We purchased this machine from China a few years back for a project and no one ever really put it into motion until now. The people we bought it from said it was basically Ready to Use, but from what I've read and come to understand is that without returning to Mechanical Origin, any G Code I write could be off by how ever much the machine thought it continued past it's mechanical origin.

I see an orange sensor under the 'shroud' that lights up Red when I move the machine on the X axis and one on the top of the Z axis, but I'm not seeing on underneath the machine (Y Axis). Is that my problem? If so, can I just order a sensor online and hook it up to the machine somewhere?

On a side note, I know there is a place on this forum for people looking for work, but would it be weird or just out of the ordinary to call up some local machine shops and offer compensation to come give me a crash course on the weekend? I feel like I'd learn more in a few hours from an experienced operator than I would through days and day of just poking around the machine myself since I have zero background knowledge here. Is that a faux pas, or would it be an understandable request?

Re: Noob Question Regarding Mechanical Origin

What is the machine system?
    e.g. Fanuc? Mitsubishi? Mazak? etc
    It is not unusual for a display on some systems to show where it thinks it should be and where it actually is, i.e. stalled.
    At start up, most machines require 'zeroing' or return to a reference point. You normally would see a L.S. installed around this point where it would start the reference routine.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I found a panel that the guy that unboxed it left off and it shows that it's a Naik machine. Model TC-1390-6. It's all in Chinese, so I believe that's the model number?
    I did manage to find a sensor underneath the machine. I had missed it because it's wire was cut and had been painted over, so it matches the color of the rest of the frame.

The two functional switches are Fanics MS-1850V3 and I believe this one is the same due to size and shape. When I started looking for a replacement, I noticed I can only find this specific part# on Chinese sites. Do you know of an alternate make/model that I could use and not have to wait several weeks for delivery, without having any compatibility issues from mixing/matching?

Couldn't find a cross for those, unless someone else ID's them or they have a diagram on the side, it may be guess work and result in a little reverse-engineering!
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

...are these the Prox Switches you are talking about? If, Yes do you also have three wires Brown-Black-Blue you can check with a Volt meter across Blue and Brown to see what voltage they are using to power a replacement of same voltage. Might be 12v or 24v they used.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue