585,589 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > 4th axis as a "poor man's lathe"
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 4th axis as a "poor man's lathe"

Thank you so much for that information. I kept those power supplies around for a future project like this some day but could not find the info for how to use this model out of the servers.

What we found was that the servers would keep running, but after about five years of 24x7x365 power on state that the servers started to fail if they ever needed to be power cycled. Those caps could pass power to keep it running, but not the surge to power on. The >80% failure rate was at a remote DR data center where we started losing communications to multiple servers after some maintenance. I flew out there and we had a full 85% failure rate of the gen 5 servers, all traced down to those caps. We found many to be swollen, and found the same problem on the Gen 5, 6, and 8 servers. Ditched the entire line by the time gen 8 came out. I had some deep discussions with the engineers, then spent a week at a competitor with their engineers diving deep into his their systems were built and they addressed this situation (and many others).

Once again, thank you so much for this information.

John Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I am glad that my information helped you out. Good luck using the server PSUs. Just be careful... it outputs a lot of power, so you should add some fuses on the secondary side, just in case...

It's been a long time ago I posted any updates regarding this project, I was simply busy with some other activities, some hobby related some not, so I had no time to post anything.

It's time again for another video. The major difference is that after my tests and the last video, I decided to digitalize my DIY micro lathe since it works very well, not only for aluminium and brass, but also for steel. So I bought two steppers, made some tests, but then got busy with photography, buying new cars (EVs of course) and other activity, so the project got to a halt. However, a few weeks ago I thought that it's a shame not to carry on and finish it, so I fixed the two steppers more permanently and made some test cuts with the new CNC lathe, turning aluminium, threading, rounding and chamfering and my tests were so successful that I decided to make a video.

https://youtu.be/P0-3K8x2U9M

The video not only shows the CNC in action, but it is actually used for making a real thing, a micro chuck adapter, so that I can use that micro chuck for drilling with tiny drill bits when I am too lazy to use the ER16 collets. The results were surprisingly good and in fact, I was so happy with it that I decided to carry on, and ordered a new Multifix type tool holder, which I believe will improve it a lot. It is a real one, made out of steel, not like the one I am using now, which is aluminium. The one I have now works also, but is not that rigid, so there is a bit of chatter and vibration. But that is OK, considering the price. I bought it knowing it's limitations, but also was ready to buy something better in case I am otherwise happy with my DIY CNC lathe. So that will be my next upgrade, apart from small bits and pieces which I intend to do.

One such thing will be adding emergency stops. As it is now, if the servo would stall the steppers will continue pushing the cutter, which no doubt will cause damage. So that must be fixed as soon as possible, because it is not a good thing. If it happens I want the machine to stop immediately on it's own.

I am controlling the lathe with UCCNC, which does not have a lathe function, but for my intended use it works pretty well for now. The G code is manually generated by myself, and for now I am happy to do it manually. It gives me some experience in handling the lathe since I am totally new to this type of work, so the slow progress is an advantage and is giving me a learning experience.

Anyway, if you are interested, please watch this video.

you buy cars but you buy steppers?

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum2 View Post
    you buy cars but you buy steppers?
    Why not...? What's wrong with steppers...? I have never had any problems with steppers, but you have to know how to control them. Anyway, where is the connection between buying cars and buying steppers...? :nono:

I made a video regarding this upgrade and the making of the tool post holder screw and nut.

https://youtu.be/uQzUsYaM68Y

Page 2 of 2 12