584,812 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > CNC program to usable Solid Model

CNC program to usable Solid Model

Hello,
    I am new to this forum but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas on how to process Gcode files back to an STL or a STEP file.

The company I work for is trying to integrate a new acquisition but they're part documentation isn't very up to date. All of they're parts have correct machine code for their Haas mills but the back end solid works is not accurate the most current Machine Code. We need to have a solid model in order to program the parts for our non haas mills. I am looking to see if there is any process someone has figured out to reverse the Gcode files back to a STL or STEP file or any file format that could then be turn back to a solid. This would save a lot of reverse engineering time and guess work.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Re: CNC program to usable Solid Model

The short answer is no.

There are G code to .STL converters for 3D printing applications, but converting milling tool paths for all but the very simplest geometry would be nearly impossible, this would be especially difficult if using ball end cutters on organic shapes.

It might be possible to edit the existing G code to make it compatible with your equipment.

I guess I would take a known good part and compare it to the 3D model and update the model to fit the part. 3D laser scanning also comes to mind. Another possibility is to run a probing routine to create a point cloud, this could be done on a mill if it has that capability, or on a properly equipped CMM.

I guess another possibility is just buy a Haas mill. Might be the least hassle.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

It might be worth investigating software related to probing operations.It isn't something I have seen for quite a while as digitising hardware has become more common and probing has faded away.

Mastercam can save the machined part as a stl you can also simulate the maching and then save the toolpaths as geometry if you send me a gcode I would give it a crack
    to see if I can do what you want. Update Hmm I think this won't work I don't think you can import Gcode into mastercam .

hy a cam simulator uses same input in order to generate code and simulation, but also there are ones that use the code as an input for the simulator ( final result may be a raster solid, not an analitical one )

in both cases, also a tool library is needed

what you wish for, is possible, but is not common; idea is good, but ...

how was generated those existing hass codes ?
    ... if a cam was used, then simply re-post
    ... if code was created on machine, then perhaps part is simple, and you may use a code translator, or create the solid in no-time

kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

You can read in G-code in Mecsoft's RhinoCAM and post it for a different machine. It's called Reverse Post Machining.

Disclaimer: I've never tried it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The short answer is no.

There are G code to .STL converters for 3D printing applications, but converting milling tool paths for all but the very simplest geometry would be nearly impossible, this would be especially difficult if using ball end cutters on organic shapes.

It might be possible to edit the existing G code to make it compatible with your equipment.

I guess I would take a known good part and compare it to the 3D model and update the model to fit the part. 3D laser scanning also comes to mind. Another possibility is to run a probing routine to create a point cloud, this could be done on a mill if it has that capability, or on a properly equipped CMM.

I guess another possibility is just buy a Haas mill. Might be the least hassle.
    Do you know of what software is used to save the poit cloud from a probing routine. I asked this in another post but maybe i worded it wrong. Sorry for hijacking the post
    Regards Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
    Do you know of what software is used to save the poit cloud from a probing routine. I asked this in another post but maybe i worded it wrong. Sorry for hijacking the post
    That is a good question, Mach3/4 might do it if you can find a macro for it. I'm guessing something like that might be an option on a CMM. It doesn't look like the probing software is readily available I think it would have to be some kind of plugin for your machine CNC software. AutoDesk MeshLab software is their free version of point cloud to mesh software.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

hy sudsy, hey jim at least nx is capable of importing raw data, then use a faceting tool, together with some restrictions, in order to transform cloud to solid

A very long time ago there was a small program called Grev5 that could turn probing data into a 3D dxf file. It seems to have disappeared.

Very interesting.

How complicated is the part being machined?

There are a few approaches you could take but it heavily depends on how complex the part is and how many lines of G Code there are.

Hi
    Take a look at Geomagic for Solidworks. It allows you to scan directly into solidworks. Try this link https://support.3dsystems.com/s/arti...language=en_US