584,862 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: punch tape

punch tape

hey everyone,
    Im new here so hopefully this is the right place for this tread, but i figured id give it a shot. One of the machines we run is a Cincinnati Milacron T-20 horizontal milling center with a acramatic 900mc cnc controller. This machine has been out of service for 2 years due to coolant leaking issues and fuse issues. Now its up an running. So here is the problem, it only accepts mylar paper tape. We have a DSI NC-2400 which worked perfectly yesterday but now its making the feeder holes oblong so the cnc wont read the tape. My question is, Does anyone know of a repair shop that works on these DSI NC-2400 punch\readers? Any help would be great. thanks.

-Stiles-

can anyone give me some advice. please

I think the last one I got fixed, I sent to Cincinnati, I believe Siemens own them now.
    I have a brand new Cimnet BTR for one of these controllers, if you ever are looking to convert, however you would need to get the executive tapes copied to a PC file.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

My mistake, I though this was the built in reader, but if you have a stand-alone NC-2400 I believe you can just read in the executive tapes to PC with this, right?
    Al.

Albert E.

The tape reader on the machine reads the tape just fine. The problem im having is that my DSI NC2400 tape punch machine isn't working correctly. I am looking for a place that services these tape punch machines. The cnc machine currently reads the odd existing paper tapes, but it wont accept the new ones.

-Stiles-

I realized after it was your punch unit, but if you ever consider the BTR conversion, the Cimnet just plugs into the existing reader interface and you just use a PC to upload/download to/from the controller and do away with tapes completely, you can keep your M/C tape reader still hooked up if you want to.
    I ordered it for a customer and he ended up scraping the machine due to other problems.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hey Al,
    Thanks for the suggestion but this is a machine that is rarely used. Its hard to justify spending several hundred dollars on a BTR. Our machine shop is a very small part of our company. Meaning they want to find the cheapest way to fix a machine. Trust me I would love to get a BTR just because our three other automatics have standalone pc's to send and receive files. That is why I would like to find someone to fix our punch machine?

-Stiles-

Re: punch tape

Quote Originally Posted by stiles45 View Post
    Hey Al,
    Thanks for the suggestion but this is a machine that is rarely used. Its hard to justify spending several hundred dollars on a BTR. Our machine shop is a very small part of our company. Meaning they want to find the cheapest way to fix a machine. Trust me I would love to get a BTR just because our three other automatics have standalone pc's to send and receive files. That is why I would like to find someone to fix our punch machine?

-Stiles-
    It has been a while since this last post but did you happen to find a repair shop for your machine. And if so, which?