585,560 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > which cam software can do this?

which cam software can do this?

I have a simple solid part: a square block; on its top surface a sloped circular slot is formed by, say, a circle 10 mm in diameter which is cut-extrude in an angle such that the circle starts at one side not touching the surface and then follows a sloped straight line and leaves in the other side with part of a circle cut into it.
    sorry about the description! the DXF file hopefully clarifies the shape.

important: max depth of the slot is LESS than the circle radius.

my question: is there a cam software that will recognize and implement the simplest solution to this: machining the slot with a 10 mm ball end tool cutting perpendicular to the surface and running in the center of the slot with a slope (decreasing Z)?

I have tried the following cadcams and none recognized that solution: solidworks cam, fusion 360, bobcad (this one came close).

thanks!

Re: which cam software can do this?

Quote Originally Posted by nosheds View Post
    I have a simple solid part: a square block; on its top surface a sloped circular slot is formed by, say, a circle 10 mm in diameter which is cut-extrude in an angle such that the circle starts at one side not touching the surface and then follows a sloped straight line and leaves in the other side with part of a circle cut into it.
    sorry about the description! the DXF file hopefully clarifies the shape.

important: max depth of the slot is LESS than the circle radius.

my question: is there a cam software that will recognize and implement the simplest solution to this: machining the slot with a 10 mm ball end tool cutting perpendicular to the surface and running in the center of the slot with a slope (decreasing Z)?

I have tried the following cadcams and none recognized that solution: solidworks cam, fusion 360, bobcad (this one came close).

thanks!

I reckon your programs are binning it off is because you are trying to use a tool that is the same diameter. (10mm circle - 10mm ball end)
    Unless you do it as a pure slot with 0 tolerances it likely won't go like this.

You could maybe 2D slot it with ramping and no return flattening path. Using multiple depths set to the finished depth of the deepest area. Enter at the shallow end and play with the ramping angle until the angle matches the slope. (It's a bit of a fudge).

Other option. Try a smaller tool using a 3D toolpath and see what that does.

I was unable to look at the part on my phone. Can you export the file into a 3D model? If the previous answer doesn't work Fusion will be able to follow the 3D surface surely. I do stuff like that all the time. B

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Try the Trace function in Fusion 360, that's how I would do it. This forces the tool path to do exactly what you want. I use this for odd shapes sometimes if Fusion doesn't do what I want.

I'm also pretty sure some of the other 3D cutting functions will do this also. Fusion requires a little prodding occasionally to produce the desired result.

If you can post the F3D file (most likely will require you to zip it), then I'll be happy to see if I can torture Fusion into cutting this.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I reckon your programs are binning it off is because you are trying to use a tool that is the same diameter. (10mm circle - 10mm ball end)
    Unless you do it as a pure slot with 0 tolerances it likely won't go like this.

You could maybe 2D slot it with ramping and no return flattening path. Using multiple depths set to the finished depth of the deepest area. Enter at the shallow end and play with the ramping angle until the angle matches the slope. (It's a bit of a fudge).

Other option. Try a smaller tool using a 3D toolpath and see what that does.
    I am reacting to the replies from dazp1976, jim dawson, and boydage - thank you guys !

- tolerance problem: i did try using an imaginary 9.95 mm tool, did not work
    - I am a hobbyist and my free fusion 360 does not have "trace" function. is it similar to pencil?
    - dazp, I am not familiar with 2d ramping. which program has it?

I realized the fusion "trace" function is in its 2d section. i was able to create the feature, but only by sketching a 3d straight line with the slope and running trace along it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosheds View Post
    I am reacting to the replies from dazp1976, jim dawson, and boydage - thank you guys !

- I am a hobbyist and my free fusion 360 does not have "trace" function. is it similar to pencil?
    I don't know what ''pencil'' is. Trace is in the 2D operations. Autodesk really crippled the free versions of Fusion, almost to the point of not being useful.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hello,

In Dolphin PartMaster you just draw the line and tell it to machine from Z0 to the required Z depth.
    Attachment 467766

Andre

Sorry guys I couldn't open this on my ph. Fusion Parallel with the correct boundaries and step will follow this to height. One end up to the other. Umm.... contact point boundary setting required. Not sure if it's in the free version its a 3D op.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk