584,860 active members*
5,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > PathPilot renders USB write protected? (aka useless)

PathPilot renders USB write protected? (aka useless)

This is the 2nd time in 4 years this has happened to me. For my own shop simplicity, I transfer gcode to PathPilot with a USB. I have zero interest in figuring out how to dropbox, or network.
    I've been happily machining parts this morning, and had to make some operational tweaks so I eject the USB and plug it into my laptop and get the message that there is a problem with my USB click here to fix it. When I jump through the hoops to repair the drive, I'm alerted that it is write protected.
    No, there is no physical write protect switch that I inadvertently bumped...
    I cannot clear the write protection by any means I've found asking almighty google. I can look at all the files, but can no longer do anything else.
    Last time this happened, and I wasted a few hours trying in vain to fix it, I ended up trashing the USB and using another. Looks like I'm in the same spot now?
    Anyone else ever run into this?

Oh, I have tried plugging the USB back into the PathPilot control and writing back a file to the USB from the control...same issue - error returned is "Read only file system"

Re: PathPilot renders USB write protected? (aka useless)

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    This is the 2nd time in 4 years this has happened to me. For my own shop simplicity, I transfer gcode to PathPilot with a USB. I have zero interest in figuring out how to dropbox, or network.
    I've been happily machining parts this morning, and had to make some operational tweaks so I eject the USB and plug it into my laptop and get the message that there is a problem with my USB click here to fix it. When I jump through the hoops to repair the drive, I'm alerted that it is write protected.
    No, there is no physical write protect switch that I inadvertently bumped...
    I cannot clear the write protection by any means I've found asking almighty google. I can look at all the files, but can no longer do anything else.
    Last time this happened, and I wasted a few hours trying in vain to fix it, I ended up trashing the USB and using another. Looks like I'm in the same spot now?
    Anyone else ever run into this?
    I've had issues with some for other tasks. I have read that:
    Some of these usb sticks (especially 3.0) can have some manufacturer software buried in them. It's mainly to do with high speed transfer but is also where the write protection is.
    No matter how much I format it, it always comes up still showing some used space. Yet there's nothing supposedly on the drive.
    It's getting on my nerves too.
    I can't find my old usb 2.0 which is very annoying.

Have a read around and see what you can find out. I've gave up for now.

for quite a while now I've been using the same usb drive to transfer programs from machine to machine , and the read only happened to me for the first time a few days ago . I plugged the drive into my windows computer and did a quick reformat . I don't know what caused the problem but it's working again .

I have had this recently...oddly on my 3d printer as well. I wrote it off as static shock some how. I do use dropbox thankfully...it's built into path pilot...there really is nothing to setup other than the dropbox user name and password.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I've had issues with some for other tasks. I have read that:
    Some of these usb sticks (especially 3.0) can have some manufacturer software buried in them. It's mainly to do with high speed transfer but is also where the write protection is.
    No matter how much I format it, it always comes up still showing some used space. Yet there's nothing supposedly on the drive.
    It's getting on my nerves too.
    I can't find my old usb 2.0 which is very annoying.

Have a read around and see what you can find out. I've gave up for now.
    I have had problems with the usb drives at times, I finally figured out how to transfer files over the network, once i got a handle on this it makes it very easy to transfer files from my windows cad cam computer to the PP drive. It took awhile to get used to it but it saves some time not having to fiddle with the usb drives.
    mike sr

The memory cells in USB sticks have a limited number of writes possible before they die. Better USB sticks have internal controllers that check the number and when it gets near the limit, write-protects the drive to keep the data already on there intact.

Worse sticks will either corrupt your data or 'die' sooner so you have to buy replacements. If its a heavily-used stick, that could be why it's gone into a read-only mode that can't be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    The memory cells in USB sticks have a limited number of writes possible before they die. Better USB sticks have internal controllers that check the number and when it gets near the limit, write-protects the drive to keep the data already on there intact.

Worse sticks will either corrupt your data or 'die' sooner so you have to buy replacements. If its a heavily-used stick, that could be why it's gone into a read-only mode that can't be undone.
    That was my thought as well when i read the post. That write limit is typically quite high though so it would have to be a very heavily used drive to hit it.

If you use the drive every day, it will wear out. Having it happen twice in four years doesn't sound totally un-normal.
    A larger drive will wear out slower with the same amount of data transferred (it's pretty linear) as long as it uses the same underlying technology.
    No, vendors don't generally list the technology / durability of their drives, so sticking with well-known quality flash manufacturers like Samsung or perhaps Sandisk are generally best.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If you use the drive every day, it will wear out. Having it happen twice in four years doesn't sound totally un-normal.
    A larger drive will wear out slower with the same amount of data transferred (it's pretty linear) as long as it uses the same underlying technology.
    No, vendors don't generally list the technology / durability of their drives, so sticking with well-known quality flash manufacturers like Samsung or perhaps Sandisk are generally best.
    You can pretty much assume the tech in a usb stick is the cheapest, lowest-QC-bin MLC flash memory available.. In that business there is very little scrap thrown away-- everything even partially functional gets sold for use in something by mapping out bad areas-- SSDs and phones get the good stuff and it rolls downhill to embedded systems, SD cards and at the bottom are disposable things like USB sticks and singing greeting cards. Buy from somebody that cares about their brand name and does QC testing if you want them to last, and even then it's good to keep backups.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess it is possible if there is a write limit that I have indeed hit it. Bought a 5 pack of USB's last week (possibly the first not-free USB's I've ever had?). I guess I've got a 10 year supply now!

Every day, we receive an average of 100 requests from kids. They all have issues with writing coursework projects in one way or another. We pay close attention to them and try to address their problem as quickly as possible. At least 80% of them require writing assistance, 10% seek instruction, and another 10% require tips on how to write great Nursing Coursework Help. We've assembled a capable and industrious team to do the task efficiently and perfectly.