584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advice on milling

Hello all,
    so i am running inserts UNEU1307R-MI IN2504 (INGERSOLL) on a 3" facemill around 500 rpms with a .005 chip load. taking off about .06-.1 in one pass. I am having constant issues with one spot chipping out on a couple of inserts all the time and we are going through a ton of inserts. i may change cutters or inserts but not sure. This mill is kind of old and we are feeding to the centerline of the cutter then rapiding back. (i dont like it but i dont think its my biggest issue at this point.) what do you guys think as far as inserts or maybe having the part be off the centerline of the cutter? not sure. i dont think this nipple is effecting it. Its got a hardness level of around 55 rockwell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insertside.jpg   inserttop.jpg   machien.jpg   prop shaft end.jpg  

Re: Need advice on milling

There are lots of factors besides those you mentioned. Could you provide some specifics like chip color, material? Maybe a picture of the setup used? I surface lots of different things that are not held conventionally in a vice.

chip color is blue and the heat is definitly leaving with the chip as the parts arent hot. the material is steel with a hardness level of around 55 rockwell thats heat treated. Ill try and get a better picture of the set up here in a bit.

hy at 1st glance, at 500 you may be out of torque, and rpm motion may be discotinued and that means more stress for the inserts; also, considering your specs, and those 55hrc, then what is your machine type ? .06-.1 = ap, ae ?

also, before rapid back, be sure that you dwell for at least 1 full revo

if possible, try to locate the position, during machining that leads to that chipping; is it somehow always happening to the saame insert seat ?

we are feeding to the centerline of the cutter then rapiding back
    a picture would be nice / kindly

ill look into that. what does the dwell for one full revo do exactly? make sure the material is faced completely?

heres a better picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixture.jpg