584,802 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > What size THK/Hiwin rails and blocks?

What size THK/Hiwin rails and blocks?

I noticed that the smallest blocks from Hiwin, the 15mm, have a dynamic load capacity of around 2300 lbs each (11K+ Newtons). Static load capacity is double that. Is this correct?

That's about equal to a 1-1/4" Thomson SMART bearing, and higher than that of a 1-1/2" Thomson SUPER bearing. Pretty incredible from such a small block.

So why do people even bother with 25mm+ blocks on lightweight routers? I'm thinking it's because of ebay.

you buy what you can find. ive got THK HSR12RM rails, simply becuase it was a killer deal at $60 each for 3 rails that are 26" long and come with 4 trucks each.
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

I managed to get two RSR 9 trucks and a 10.75" rail on Ebay for $36. This will be used on my small router for the Y axis. The smaller truck/rail combos are not that common. I'd love to get another one like it if I could.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Yep....that's the reason....what's available.....though....those 9mm rails.....well they still seem like 'toys'.......

I think a lot of people also don't believe that they'll carry the rated loads, so go with the "bigger is better" approach. Also, the smaller ones don't come in longer lengths, so bigger may become necessary just to get the lengths you may need. But yes, the biggest factor is what can you get from Ebay.

I've gotten 2 pairs of 26" long 15mm IKO's that I plan to butt end to end to make a 48" wide gantry. $130 for 4 rails and 8 blocks. And a pair of 18" 15mm THK's with 4 blocks, $40. And about 6 months of waiting on Ebay 'til they showed up.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just decided to search for rails again after not looking for a while and ended up with two 22.5 inch 2omm thk rails with two blocks each for 25 bucks, they are in excellent condition. I was lucky to find them, they didn't say thk or anything in the title, but the blocks say it I was stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Yep....that's the reason....what's available.....though....those 9mm rails.....well they still seem like 'toys'.......
    They may be small but there is a set of them on the Y-axis already, I'm going to redo the Y-axis and make it longer. Heck the Z-axis has a 7 mm one. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...chmentid=18614

This machine is going to be for the small, small stuff. The spindle motor is going to be a Bien-Air brushless motor and controller, just a leftover dental electric handpiece
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I dont know what static and dynamic loads are or how to calculate required rail size.A friend recently purchased a5x10 Thermwood router.The rails are 20mm.The machine weights 8000 lbs I guess the gantry must be 3000 at least {10 Hp spindle and auto tool changer} Now I know 20mm rails are overkill for a DiY CnC .
    Larry

Moment loads...

One thing to keep in mind is that while these bearing rails are in fact very sturdy, the main loading you need to concern yourself with often is not the static or dynamic load, but the moment load. Particularly on the rails on a moving gantry, if you have a tall Z axis, there is a significant lever arm acting on your bearings. Under large cutting forces, with a long Z axis, you could exceed the allowable moment load of some of the "wimpier" rails.

This is not to say that any of the previous comments have been wrong -- most of the rails out there are super strong, and are more than adequate for DIY, especially for the rails supporting the gantry. However, moment loads should be considered, and are fairly easy to calculate "back of the envelope". Force X Distance. I usually use a higher number than I think I'll actually see, like 300 lbs. of force on my spindle, to make sure everything is beefy enough.

Re: What size THK/Hiwin rails and blocks?

Would not a bigger rail add to the mass of the system. Like using a 400x300x20 mm steel table on 25 size rails would give less chatter (or something else) than with size 15 rails?

Quote Originally Posted by gnindit View Post
    Would not a bigger rail add to the mass of the system. Like using a 400x300x20 mm steel table on 25 size rails would give less chatter (or something else) than with size 15 rails?
    A little late to the party this thread is from 2006 that's 15 years ago, a lot has changed in that time, but 15mm rails are still a good option for small size machines
    Mactec54

Hi GN - Rails and cars come in different accuracy classes, different car styles and preloads. If you pick the right one for the application they won't chatter. Often rails and cars are choosen via its package size vs its strength. The static strength of the car is the load at which permanent damage is done to the car. The dynamic strength allows the designer to calculate the life of the bearing in its service conditions. With CNC machines they can also be selected for their stiffness, the bigger rails are stiffer then the smaller rails. All discussed in below doc. Peter

https://www.hiwin.tw/download/tech_d...ideway-(E).pdf