Good Afternoon,

7 days ago a technician came to me and explained a machine had alarm 904 or something and he had called Fanuc. Phone service instructed him to initialize the BMU, so he did. Obviously, now we do not have the "NC Software" or anything left in our machine. I joined the fight at this point.

Machine = Komatsu
Type = Mill
Control = Fanuc System 9

We do not have original tapes. We only have backup files for programs and params read off the serial port. I did Find a Greco Minifile plus, disks, and cables in the panel for our Fanuc System 9 machine. The machine is a 5 axis Mill. We invited a Fanuc service tech to join us and he stated without the original machine tapes there is nothing Fanuc can do for us.

The system boots into the screen which only allows 3 options:
I = initialize
L = load
G = boot

At this point the only thing to do was try to get the Minifile to save us. 4 days of struggles, tests, and scope measurements we now have the Minifile loading our backup files into the control. The control happily accepts the files, but when the load completes and we press "G" to boot, there is a scan of the memory and the message "incomplete" shows up.

I have a lot of questions, the main one being the files I have on disk... where did these files come from? According to the manual the only way to load the NC software is from tape. This means the only way to digitize the tapes would be to read the tape into a device like the minifile.

We have tried loading the files at different speeds and settings with no luck. We have tried sending the controls files we know are bad and the control recognizes the files are not what it is looking for. We are stuck, and hoping someone here has some advice. I understand being new here, I deserve none. My group has very little experience with older Fanuc controls, we are learning together.

One other thing. I have 2 bubble memory boards from a sister machine. I installed these 2 boards and the system will boot, but the sister machine only had 3 axis. The current machine has 5 axis, and I was not sure if it was possible to "install" new axis into the system.

Thank you for your time.