584,826 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dm4400m spindle motor?

The dm4400m that I am retrofitting has a spindle motor that I’d like to salvage if possible.

It appears to be a DC servo drive motor

180vdc with 11nm stall torque per the label.

It says it’s a model MT 40ZD4-45 motor

Any suggestions on a drive to run this motor

Re: Dm4400m spindle motor?

Hi,

This is a PM DC motor.

Sprint Electric have reasonably priced drives for this motor.

https://www.sprint-electric.com/prod...unt-dc-drives/

thanks for the Lead, do you know if they ship to the US?

also which drive do you think would work with this motor?

I am not that familiar with sizing a drive for a PM DC motor, so I could use some education?

Thank you.

Duke

I think https://inverterdrive.com/ ships to the US.

I got the exact same motor you have attached a picture of. I am running the sprint 3200i unit at 240VAC input. The 3200i drive does have tacho input that will work with the motor you have. The tacho feedback help keep the motor at a constant speed.

The speed of PM motors is dependent on the voltage you supply to the motor. At 180VDC the motor will spin at a speed of 4000RPM.
    I have the 3200i-32A set to output 180VDC at max speed. For a DM4400 the 32A unit delivers is more power than the draw bar clamping force of the spindle can withstand (at least in my case). I would have to change the draw bar unit, or the whole spindle cartridge to allow for more clamping force to utilize the full potential of the drive.

-Mathias

One more note, have a look through the documentation of the drive to find the scale of min/max output voltage of the drive. Because if you are going to have the ability to rigid tap, the minimum speed of the sprint drive might not be slow enough for the application. I do not have rigid tapping set up on my machine, so this is not an issue for me.

I would also suggest adding a temperature sensor (motor insulation class H 180C). I notice when running the motor at max rpm for a extended period of time the outside temperature of the motor gets really hot to the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by oscilloman View Post

I got the exact same motor you have attached a picture of. I am running the sprint 3200i unit at 240VAC input. The 3200i drive does have tacho input that will work with the motor you have. The tacho feedback help keep the motor at a constant speed.

The speed of PM motors is dependent on the voltage you supply to the motor. At 180VDC the motor will spin at a speed of 4000RPM.
    I have the 3200i-32A set to output 180VDC at max speed. For a DM4400 the 32A unit delivers is more power than the draw bar clamping force of the spindle can withstand (at least in my case). I would have to change the draw bar unit, or the whole spindle cartridge to allow for more clamping force to utilize the full potential of the drive.

-Mathias

Thank you, its always nice to hear from someone who is running the same motor with a specific drive.

Did the documentation with the drive make it fairly straightforward to wire it up, or was there some educated guesswork involved?

If you have any photos of your wiring that would be awesome, but if you have it all buttoned up, I wouldn’t ask you to open it up just for a photo.

Obviously my machine isn’t running yet, but I replaced the spindle cartridge with a Taiwanese 90mm bt30 spindle so I’m hopeful that gives me enough clamping force.

Thank you
    Duke

Quote Originally Posted by oscilloman View Post

-Mathias
    Got a quote today from Bardac drives which is apparently the company that interdrive sent me to in the States.

for $700 for the drive and $180 for their fuse kit, I can't justify dumping that much money on a spindle motor thats probably about 30 years old and came to me with a cut cord.
    I can't even be certain this motor works and I have no intention of gambling almost $900 to find out.

I am thinking I will be better off either fitting a 3 phase AC motor with a VFD since I don't plan to do any rigid tapping, or finding a more recent DC motor with drive already paired. probably would even be money ahead buying a more recent AC servo to run as the spindle.

Thanks for the lead.

Duke

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    Got a quote today from Bardac drives which is apparently the company that interdrive sent me to in the States.

for $700 for the drive and $180 for their fuse kit, I can't justify dumping that much money on a spindle motor thats probably about 30 years old and came to me with a cut cord.
    I can't even be certain this motor works and I have no intention of gambling almost $900 to find out.

I am thinking I will be better off either fitting a 3 phase AC motor with a VFD since I don't plan to do any rigid tapping, or finding a more recent DC motor with drive already paired. probably would even be money ahead buying a more recent AC servo to run as the spindle.

Thanks for the lead.

Duke

Hey Duke,

I 100% agree with you on swapping the old motor for a new 3ph asynchronous motor instead of paying almost $1000 to only a new drive. I do not recall exactly what i paid for the 3200i, but I sure know it was way below 900$. Just FYI, a new 3ph asynchronous motor driven with a VFD will have lower torqe at slow RPM's compared with the original PM motor that was installed on your Dyna. I have been thinking of replacing my PM motor when the slipring brushes wear down. But I do not know how well a similarly sized asynchronous motor will behave compared to the PM motor I run today. Losing the ability to run a 80mm facemill with a Ap of 8-10mm would really slow down things on some of the machining that I do.

Good luck, and keep us updated on the rebuild.

Cheers,
    Mathias

I found a 2hp 3ph motor locally for under $100 that was still in packaging from factory.

I have it mounted, and once I get the VFD I have ordered, I’ll power up and see how it cuts.

I know that I’m losing slow speed torque this way, but most of what I mess with is aluminum and in my home shop, I could probably make it work for steel with light cuts.

Duke

I run my DM4400 spindle motors with the Bardac (Sprint) 3600XRi.
    Uses all amps the drive can put out.
    Perfect rpm control and it runs warm but not hot.
    Just buying a drive vs. trying to jam a new motor and belts in there was worth it for me.

Timothy
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25

Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    I run my DM4400 spindle motors with the Bardac (Sprint) 3600XRi.
    Uses all amps the drive can put out.
    Perfect rpm control and it runs warm but not hot.
    Just buying a drive vs. trying to jam a new motor and belts in there was worth it for me.

Timothy
    I’m happy so far with my low cost option.

What did the drive cost?

I picked up the first two off of eBay for $150 each.
    The third one was $225.

Timothy
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25

Hi,
    even if you do decide to retain the DC motor make sure you energize the brake before applying power, energizing the brake (normally) releases the armature.

The DC motor has plenty of power:

w=4000 / 60 x 2 x PI
    =418.8 rad/s
    power= 11 x 418.8
    =4606.8W, or 4.6kW or 6hp and probably as much as three times that as overload, ie short duration capacity

That's plenty of grunt, I doubt your asynchronous motor will ever get to 25% of that sort of performance.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post

I can't even be certain this motor works and I have no intention of of spending the nearly $900 I've earned from a gambling website to find out.

Thanks for the lead.

Duke
    I think in this case it would be better to find a newer DC motor with the drive already installed

I think so too, it would be better to find a new engine