584,833 active members*
5,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Lathe ER-40 collet chuck for Shoptask

Lathe ER-40 collet chuck for Shoptask

I've been using an ER-32 collet chuck in the lathe spindle taper for a while and have been wanting to upgrade to a chuck mounted to the spindle nose for a while for the through-stock benefits. All the ones I've seen till now were 80mm or 100mm diameter and would need an adapter plate. I been window shopping for a long time on this one - my money has other priorities - until last week I came across an amazon listing with an ER-40, 132mm diameter with a 100mm recess and a 115mm diameter 3-hole mount - i.e. bolt-on Shoptask size!

It arrived today and *looks* perfect. The sizes are as advertised. I'll report back on the fit and taper runout. I don't actually have any collets for it yet, I wanted to see if it really was the right size first.

I thought I'd post this here as I've been looking for years for chucks to fit the spindle nose with no luck and I figure I'm not the only one. I have a 1998 1720XMTC

Listing https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3901-503...KR9SD&dchild=1

Re: Lathe ER-40 collet chuck for Shoptask

Thanks for posting... I've been looking for something similar in the 5C size that doesn't require an adapter.

I had a chance to fit it tonight. It is a better fit on the nose than the 3-jaw. Somewhat more tapping to get it on and off. The holes line up and look to be M10 thread.

My cheap test indicator reads about 0.0005 runout - but it also says that about the spindle taper, and will move that much when I yank on the nose. Spindle is overdue for maintenance.

I didn't think to check if the high spots aligned, so technically the chuck runout could be from 0 to 1 thou, but I'm thinking it's on the low end of that range. Good enough for me either way, and probably better than the collets based on my cheapo Er32s.

The chuck and the nut are flawless in appearance and the nut is silky smooth on the threads.

Good enough for me. Now I need some collets to put in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got around to servicing the lath spindle this weekend, and the only thing holding the nuts on was the tab washer. They weren't even finger tight. No preload whatsoever. So now they have a little preload - tightened the inner nut until I got a tap to fit in one of the slots (flipping the washer both sides). I didn't want to overdo it. The spindle spins freely, though it does get a little warm after a few minutes - not sure if it did that before, I didn't check. Anyhoo, the spindle runout is reduced, and I have some collets now so I'll try and get some chuck measurements.

Now I have

Of course the threads are M10-1.5 not the M10-1.25 that I already bought and then 30mm is too long and the holes in the spindle nose are clearance for M8...

So now the holes are M10 and the bolts are trimmed down with the grinder. Runout is still minimal - less than I can generate by leaning on the mill-head.

For the M8 bolts for the 3-jaw - make stepped bolts or drill/tap out to M10?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk