584,841 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OMTech Laser opinions wanted

So I have had a little K40 for years, I've done several modification to it and it works pretty good. I'll link a couple of videos of it. I've made a lot of good quality cool items with it !

But now I'm looking for a larger machine, I was thinking about the Boss LS1420 50 watt at around $4500+

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416-hobby-laser_1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	469291

but then started looking at the OMTech MF2028-60 at about $2800 seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-T...854038&sr=8-27

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMT1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	469293
    I would like to get some opinions on this machine and company please, would I be wasting my money by going with the OMTech or is this a decent machine ? I can easily fix almost any quality control issues, such as tightening and aligning, replace electronics, motors, etc.

Or should I just pay more for the Boss Laser with smaller cutting area and 50 watt tube ?

Any info on this is appreciated.

A couple of videos from my little K40...

Re: OMTech Laser opinions wanted

I’m looking at those same Omtech machines, the 80-100w range. What little I’ve learned is that Omtech seems to be the only ChiCom company that has a presence here in the US that offers a small modicum of support for what they sell. There is more info over on Reddit, try r/ChineseLaserCutters or r/Laserengraving.
    Cheers,
    Spike

Did you ever end up purchasing one of the OMTech offerings? I've been stuck in the Analysis Paralysis mode for a few weeks now trying to sort through the myriad options of CO2 lasers out there. I have heard/read some folks say that it's best to purchase OMTech lasers directly from their website (omtechlaser.com) rather than from eBay or Amazon. Something about warranty and shipping. And then there are those that brave the direct-from-China importation which can save a few bucks on the transaction as well.

P.S. - And I'm guessing your avatar is a still from the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke. "Boss Godfrey" played by Morgan Woodward.

If you can return through Amazon, that is probably a good way to go, just know what to check and what the return policy would be.

Sent from my Nokia 3.4 using Tapatalk

This is a timely thread, as I'm looking for a small backup laser, just for engraving, to go with my Epilog. The desktop models are less than $500, and I'm figuring Amazon may have some deals on these for Black Friday.

Anyone else have one of these OMTechs?

Thanks,
    CL

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper70 View Post
    I've been stuck in the Analysis Paralysis mode for a few weeks now trying to sort through the myriad options of CO2 lasers out there.
    Welcome to the party pal!

Im in the very same boat. However my issues (ive already decided on the AF2020-60.... I think....) is the exhaust. I really dont want to pay for a fume extractor and am looking at putting a vent out my garage roof. Then I need to worry about operating temps as the weather is eclectic here in Va.