584,798 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Finishing some one elses project sugesstions appreciated

Finishing some one elses project sugesstions appreciated

I recentley bougth a started cnc router project for a god price on fb marketplace.
    the machine was a bit bigger than i thougth. the machine is bassed on a moving gantry and two ballscrews connected with a belt to be driven by a single servo motor.
    A big motor to drive the axis was included and some smaler nema 23 servomotors for the other axis. but no drive electronics. the z axis is quite tall and seems flimsy to me compared to the rest of machine round supported linear rails there. the original designer / builder of the machine is no longer alive so i do not know what it was designed for.

the plan is to use a mesa board and get some new servo motors to drive the x and z axis and likley run everything with linux cnc.
    for starters i will use a 2.2 kw chinese spindle since i have one at home already. then i will probobly upgrad the z axis with some square linear rails and maybe a beffier plate.

any suggestions would be nice and also if anyone could have a idea what the original designer had in mind.
    all i know is that he was an enginner working @ hagglunds (now BAE) and built the machine in their shop

for now i keep it in temporary storage becus i will get my hobbyworkshop in december. it's a bit to large for my 2 bedroom apartment =)
    so i will hopefully get started with it after the new year.

som pictures of the machine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210822_174825.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	469287

Name:	20210821-21083010.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	469289

Name:	20210820_230938.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	469283

Name:	20210820_230930.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	469281

Name:	20210822_134202.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	469285

Re: Finishing some one elses project sugesstions appreciated

It definitely does have some height going for it. What still needs to be done? What's the cage for - the hamsters that make it run?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

whats left is to pice it togheter fully and squaring the parts. the legs with the ballscrews is one part then there is a pice mounted on top with the rails for the gantry. then the cast table for work holding and wise. and the gantry. i moved the machine in these separate parts on the trailer. there are no electronics / motors mounted so that needs to be sourced and fastend. so as it stands it's a bare shell. i hope the x/z will take nema 34 otherwise i will get the most powerfull i can in the nema 22/23 formfaktor or try to remake the mounts. then mounting a spindle. spindle and mesa bord for linux cnc is something i have from a smaller project i was building on earlier.

the cage is just a part of the trailer that i used to move the machine =)

If I stumbled across a machine with components of that quality I would be very pleased.What to do with it would be my next consideration as the potential for flexing of the gantry and the absurdly long Z axis could have serious effects on the accuracy with which the tool could describe the trajectory required for the programmed path.I suggest you try a test by locating a dial indicator by the lower end of the Z axis and apply a push with your hands to see how much movement occurs in the X direction and then repeat the test in the Y direction.I expect you can calculate the force imposed by the servos reasonably closely and then there will be the effect of the resonance of the cutting flutes.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    If I stumbled across a machine with components of that quality I would be very pleased.What to do with it would be my next consideration as the potential for flexing of the gantry and the absurdly long Z axis could have serious effects on the accuracy with which the tool could describe the trajectory required for the programmed path.I suggest you try a test by locating a dial indicator by the lower end of the Z axis and apply a push with your hands to see how much movement occurs in the X direction and then repeat the test in the Y direction.I expect you can calculate the force imposed by the servos reasonably closely and then there will be the effect of the resonance of the cutting flutes.
    Yes i will defenitly try with a force gauge and a dial indicator and se what the results are. have not checked the brand of the linear rails but the ballscrews seems to be NSK.
    i guess the scrap value for the metals could be more than what i paid about 600eur. so the parts to finish it will be a tad more. i got recommended to get a servostar 610 controller for the gantry motor and does seems to go vetween 500-1000 eur used