584,866 active members*
4,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New CnC Build. Large Granite CnC

Good day Guys & Gal's

I started a new cnc build a few weeks ago. It is going pretty slow as my work only really allows me to work on it during weekends. I've completed the base and busy getting ready to have my 20mm steel plate laser cut for the z-axis, then will send it of to besurfaced.
    I am still deciding on electronics but considering nema 34 closed loop steppers ( 1600oz) and a stand alone controller or mach3 as I still have a license from years ago. Size of the machine is 2m x 900mm. Working envelope is 900mm x 1.7m..320mm z-axis.

Ballscrew's on all axis's and 25mm linears all around except the gantry has a 100mm + 35mm roller linear (not fitted yet - Waiting on 16mmx40mm flat bar for gantry). Build is slow but the ball keeps moving. current weight is just under 1 ton. linear on base is around 40-60 microns fitted currently but will re-lap & fit asap. I have lapped a smaller piece of granite within 0.008mm and know it is possible. First got to surface the table to closer tolerances as it is a little bowed. then will lap the table and redo sides for better tolerances...BLUDDY a lot of elbow grease but think it will be worth it, as it will be used to make baby granite machine bases. ) of 900mm x 600mm inspired by fox on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi2...bjwwIMVqoxTeoA)
    as well as Datron (https://www.datron.com/) machines.

The gantry was stripped of a machine I found and repurposed it. Things' are a bit rusted here and there but got a few linear's and others bit's and pieces I can use if I need to.

Any input would be appreciated and all Nay Sayers comment's ignored xD It is not my first machine, but don't pretend I know it all.

Some pictures to follow. Will take more the weekend,

Welcome to the build!
    If you can Read, You can learn...If you can Learn you can do anything you set your mind to.

Re: New CnC Build. Large Granite CnC

Used 12mm hardened steel + a decent epoxy to glue and tension the sides. Gantry has been installed already with linears. will take a decent pic tomorrow or the weekend but here is a bad pic of it and some others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210830_061956.jpg  
    If you can Read, You can learn...If you can Learn you can do anything you set your mind to.

Heya guys. here is a better picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	469469

I've printed these bearing supports and they are more than strong enough for a start, until I can mill them out of aluminum. 2005 ball screw 4 start. Ill be 3d printing the main Z-plate as ell and cast it out of aluminum and rest will be made out of 25mm steel plate.

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	469471
    Will use 8mm drop in anchors to fasten them to the granite.

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	469473

Good day Guy's.

I've had some time to do a little work. I build a frame for boxing the machine in, as well as add some sink I had laying around. I'll replace the sink with 0.5 or 1mm steel later as the sink is just [email protected] get it to be NOICE and flat. Also busy rebuilding the gantry. Resprayed it and cleaned up the rails etc. Busy test fitting the 30mm roller linear as well. Send out my cad files for the plates that connect the gantry and table 2gether and the Z-axis assembly. All I can say is that it's BEEFY AF. Wish I had a real VMC mill's spindle as it would be able to handle it. xD

Name:	IMG_20211005_115612.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	470972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211006_131927.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	470974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211006_132013.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	470976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211006_132038.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	470978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211006_132504.jpg 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	470980

Good day boys and girls.

I've been trying to find a job in Canada the past few months and seems a agency has found me a position. Now the problem is the funds needed to pay for services rendered. Also I am moving to a new place months end and there isn't any space.???????? So I will be selling the machine as is. All linear rails + extra rails, some 3m rails on a Kuka base unit(heavy steel unit) large 3d printer, 1.2kw router, +/- 3meter 50mm ballscrew, some aluminium extrusions, odd bits and pieces..etc will upload some pictures. Want to sell in one go. Looking for around R60k for everything. Please note the machine is very heavy, as well as the Kuka base. Drop me a message if interested.

Masjien as pictures in post with 2* balls crew for y axis. Heavy Diamond grinding wheel to surface the table(R600), 1.2kw router, hardly used. Z axis linears as well, no plates cut yet for z-axis. R15 000. Cost me R18k so far without labour costs. Call on 082891752seven. Email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by fransfourie View Post
    Good day boys and girls.

I've been trying to find a job in Canada the past few months and seems a agency has found me a position. Now the problem is the funds needed to pay for services rendered. Also I am moving to a new place months end and there isn't any space.???????? So I will be selling the machine as is. All linear rails + extra rails, some 3m rails on a Kuka base unit(heavy steel unit) large 3d printer, 1.2kw router, +/- 3meter 50mm ballscrew, some aluminium extrusions, odd bits and pieces..etc will upload some pictures. Want to sell in one go. Looking for around R60k for everything. Please note the machine is very heavy, as well as the Kuka base. Drop me a message if interested.
    Machine build looks good.

You should not be paying the recruiter agency anything, the employer normally pays there fees.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Machine build looks good.

You should not be paying the recruiter agency anything, the employer normally pays there fees.
    Morning! In normal circumstances that is indeed true, but if you are located outside of Canada you can be sure to pay. They don't like paying these fees. I have applied to probably 400 jobs the past 2 years. I got many replies, although when they see you are located outside of Canada, they are not interested anymore. And the company's that do recruit foreigners, have huge amount of people applying. Through an agency, you're chances of getting a interview is much higher.

dear lord, this thing is huge