584,841 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Home garage shop

Hey guys I plan on purchasing a Haas 3 axis mill for the garage and I’m stuck between a the TM0P and Mini Mill. I’ll be working mainly with aluminum making car parts and some stainless steel for making things like golf putter and car parts.

I know the TM0P is fairly new so I don’t see many reviews on that machine. I spoke with one of the sales reps from Haas and they suggested that I get the mini mill if I’ll be working with steel due to the structure and options being better for the Mini Mill? I’m not exactly sure what he meant by the structure being better, but I did notice there were more additional options for the Mini Mill than the TM0P.

Regarding the options for the TM0P I chose the options that people on the forums suggested but not too sure if it’s really recommended or more of a nice to have. If there is an option you guys think that I won’t need and could save some money please advise me so. Here are the following options:
    - 10k rpm spindle
    - 4th axis drive and wiring
    - WIPS (Probe system)
    - Chip Auger
    - High Speed Machining
    - Rigid Tapping

Air compressors I noticed there’s the classic piston compressor and rotary compressor. Can you guys give me some recommendation on which compressor is the best bang for the buck. I’m not too sure what size gallon I should get and a rotary would be nice due to its low decibel noise but I prefer to save some money if possible ????
    I look forward to the discussions and appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

Re: Home garage shop

I would go with the Mini. We have a TM-2P and are thinking about a mini for our stainless parts. The TM runs aluminum just fine but could use the rigidity of the mini for stainless parts. The Mini is a more rigid machine.

We get along fine with a 5HP piston compressor. Ours is a true 5HP, not whatever passes as 5HP from the marketing propaganda from the big box stores. Started out life as a Craftsman ''7.5 HP" (actual 5 HP) single phase, now has a 3 phase 5 HP motor/ VFD power. For inexpensive, I would buy the best ''5HP'' (most are really around 3 HP) deal I could find and just replace the motor when the original fails. Most of the pumps are pretty good and will far outlast the motor. I think the Harbor Freight pumps are made in Italy. Get the largest tank available, normally 80 gal. I have 260 gal of air storage capacity and a Harbor Freight refrigerated air dryer. I run it at 125 PSI (rated at 175 PSI) with a 5 PSI differential. You will kill a single phase motor pretty quickly operating like this, so plan on a 3 phase motor down the road about a year. But we use a lot of air.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the feedback Jim! Regarding the lifespan of single and three phase air compressor I assume this applies to a rotary compressor as well? So like a single phase rotary compressor will have a shorter life span than a 3 phase rotary compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by davidp8282 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Jim! Regarding the lifespan of single and three phase air compressor I assume this applies to a rotary compressor as well? So like a single phase rotary compressor will have a shorter life span than a 3 phase rotary compressor?
    It depends on the number of start cycles the motor makes. The startup eventually fries the centrifugal switch. I killed a Baldor 5 HP, single phase, compressor duty motor in 2 years, that's when I switched to 3 phase and have had no problems since.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

...they just dont make stuff to last 20+ years any more. When buying anything for long term invastment...the big question is can we get parts to repair it.

Good luck on your adventure.