585,668 active members*
4,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Mazak VTC-41 w/Mazatrol EIA - No Part Origin

Hello everybody.

Well, I've got my first formal job as a NC programmer, although the machine is a little bit outdated. The company I work for owns a Mazak VTC-41 VMC with a Mazatrol EIA control (Yasnac MX3) dated from 1994.

Now, I'm in a little bit of panic here, not because the machine won't do any moves I instruct it to do, but I'm missing the most fundamental feature in a CNC machine, and I haven't found the answer either by browsing the web or reading the manuals.

How do I set the part origin?

My bosses don't know the machine either, they're newcomers to CNC, and I'm more of a "new schooler", meaning that I know only the newest systems (I love Centroid CNC), but the minute I stepped into the machine room and saw the behemoth, I spent a day and a half swimming deep into the manuals and handbooks to no avail.

Well, the bosses said that in some sort of introductory course they had on the machine they were told that, after the program initialization codes (G21, G0, G40, G49, etc.) they should position the spindle where the part zero is supposed to be, jot down the coords, home the machine and use G92 to set the part zero there, but whenever I try to do that and try to move the machine, it just won't move or will give me wrong coordinates (and readings).

The control has a button labeled as ORG, and the manual says it's used to set the part zero, although I've tried using it everywhere (ALM, DGN, OFS, SET, POS, and I do mean everywhere) without any results.

Any help would be super appreciated.

FGB.

Nevermind

Well, I just stumbled upon the Parameters Manual at the workshop. My boss has been hiding it so nobody fiddles with the machine. Tweak some parameters here and there, and I made ORG work and set the part zero.

Duh.

Thanks for reading.

FGB.