584,337 active members*
6,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Fiber Laser Cutting Topics > How can I know if these W/m2 values are safe while using eye protection?

How can I know if these W/m2 values are safe while using eye protection?

I’ve made some measurements using a power meter behind some eyewear protection in order to validate them.

I tried with a fibre laser machine (1064 nm) and when I put the googles about 2 centimeters to the laser while its working, the instrument (behind the glasses) reads about 450 W/m2. Withiut the safety glasses it reads 900 W/m2.

I did the same using a 40W UV Lamp but this time the glasses and instrument are looking directly into the lamp (20 centimeters of separation). Without safety glasses it reads 6.5 W/m2 and with eyewear protection it reads 2.8 W/m.

Are my tests coherent or do I need to try something different?

Is there a standard of how many W/m2 are safe in each application

Re: How can I know if these W/m2 values are safe while using eye protection?

Point your measurement device to the sun directly at midday and on evening susnet. Human eyes are damaged by direct midday sun in ten minutes and by bright sunset in two hours. Sure, it depends where you are in regards of equator, but stiil it gives some understanding about dangerous exposition.