Hi All,

I’m new here, given myself a 2 week crash course with a 3018, done 4 jobs, now ready to build a decent size machine. I only learn by ‘doing’, so in the deep end suits me fine.

I have in my workshop an 8x4 welded steel table, I use it for all sorts, the idea is for the CNC machine to be suspended from the roof when not in use, and lowered onto the steel table when I need it.
I will make the CNC frame height adjustable from the steel table, so I can raise or lower it depending on the height of the work piece.

I’m planning on mostly using it for cutting wood. For example, my next job is to build 2 pairs of Oak Gates, 85mm thick, 1750 wide, and big curved top rails, usually id cut this out on the bandsaw, hand plane, belt sander.. but it’d be a lot easier if I could spit these out on a CNC..
I also want to be able to load 6x6, 8x8, 10x10 etc Oak Beams for shaping, cutting mortise and tenons, engrave, etc..

I’d also like to use it for Laser’ing stuff.. And cutting metal, mostly Alu, possible steel sheet too if I can?!

I have a bunch of questions.. If you’ll humour me..

1. Control Box/Board
Iv had a look and only seen really cheap eBay stuff or really expensive.
Can I run a £20 GRBL(or similar) board with a big machine? I’m not entirely clear on the drivers, breakout boards, etc, and what board they work with, and what steppers I’d need.
The computer side of things is where I really struggle. Been using Onshape CAD. Tried MeshCam, don’t like. Using Easle CAM now. Used GRBL Goode sender or whatever it is. Also DLd UGS but could get it to load my file. I’m looking for simple, idiot proof, no bells or whistles.

2. With target of machinable area of 8x4, I’m hoping a 1500mm leadscrew will be ok for the gantry. I’m assuming 2700-2800mm is to long for an unsupported leadscrew, or is it possible? How fat would it need to be not to defect and/or whip? What’s the alternative, rack and pinion?

3. What’s the best type of linear motion rails? I’ll probably be going eBay for these, Round SBR20 or SBR25, or, HGR Series 20-25mm?

Any help would be very much appreciated, try to hide your laughter ????
Thanks
LondonBoards