584,846 active members*
4,447 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > Best machine for ATC upgrade?

Best machine for ATC upgrade?

I would like to convert a mill to CNC, and add an ATC. Also want it to have resolution of 0.001mm. I was looking at Precision Matthews, but not sure those kits are available for that brand.

Table size, torque, speeds and feeds are not important to me.

Is what I want easy enough to find? If so, what is the best milling machine to start with?

Re: Best machine for ATC upgrade?

Nothing wrong with a Precision Mathews machine. I think they even sell CNC kits for some of the models.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

So you want a new machinetool or retrofit the one you have already?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphastar View Post
    I would like to convert a mill to CNC, and add an ATC. Also want it to have resolution of 0.001mm. I was looking at Precision Matthews, but not sure those kits are available for that brand.

Is what I want easy enough to find? If so, what is the best milling machine to start with?
    Sometimes the CNC system of an old machine or second hand machine is broken, but the mechanical parts of the machine are still in good condition, then we can retrofit it with new CNC system.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

I want to buy brand new. I see people have a hard time finding kits for CNC for certain models, and I haven't found any ATC kits. Just wondering if you were going to buy a new milling machine, and you had those three requirements (CNC, ATC and extreme high resolution), which benchtop would you be looking at? Sherline? PM? X2?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Precision Mathews machine. I think they even sell CNC kits for some of the models.
    Thank you! I couldn't see the kit at first, but I found the one for the 728VT. Do you have any suggestions for driver and steppers that would allow micron level resolution?

A 5mm lead ball screw and 5000 micro-step/rev set on the driver would give 0.001mm resolution. Just about any stepper drive would be capable of doing that.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you!!

stepper drive? For machinetool with precission of 1micron? Are you serious? Have not seen any industrial machinetool based on steppers. Let me know if I am wrong.
    In my opinion, good acuraccy is possible to achieve with good servos only.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    stepper drive? For machinetool with precission of 1micron? Are you serious? Have not seen any industrial machinetool based on steppers. Let me know if I am wrong.
    In my opinion, good acuraccy is possible to achieve with good servos only.
    The Alphastar did not ask about ''precision'' or ''accuracy'', only resolution. Very different things.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Alphastar View Post

I am near completion on building a Precision Matthews PM-728VT with a 12 tool ATC, and TTS tooling. Pic below. I can state that the PM-728 is an exceptional machine for the task due to the exceptional ways (Taiwanese rather than Chinese). I did not use the PM kit for the conversion, but I would recommend their high precision kit with the C5 ball screws. I believe this is the highest quality small benchtop available now.