585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 19 7891011

Re: Design & Build of Frankenrouter

Hi All - I can get back to Frankie now. I bought a guide to help me hold the drill straight. Seems to work. I also winched the tank back its its spot. It had a little walk during the flood... Peter

Evening All - I've started getting my head back into Frankie. Today I listed the things needing ordering and will get these on the way tomorrow. I also noticed I can't adjust the bolts on the gantry carriages as they are under the gantry rail. So I'll have to address that. I want to make the gantry asap... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frankie carriage.jpg  

Evening all and sundry- I moved the rails to the outside and the drive to the inside. This gives access to all bolts for the cars and drive nut. It makes the span of the gantry a bit bigger but that's the compromise. Now I can finalise the rail lengths and get them on order. I've decided to set up a waste board on Scoot and plane it flat as the laminating surface for the gantry. This will also provide hold down points for the clamps or I may use vacuum. Not there yet. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new rail.jpg  

Hi All- Frankies on the move again. I ordered the motion parts today so in 3 weeks will have more bits to play with.... Peter

Hi All - I have been detailing the saddle on Scoot and tried to make it do Scoot and Frankie. But it got complex so flicked that idea. So Frankie will have a carbon fibre saddle to suit. Looking forward to the first CF machine part. Will look something like this but black...Peter

Hi All - I'm about to order Scoots saddle parts and Frankie could use 3 out of the 4 parts that Scoot will use so I looked at it hard and decided to commit to using aluminium for Frankie's saddle. So today its saddle parts will be on the way. CF will have to wait for the next machine. So all of Frankies parts are now committed. Onward to building the gantry... Peter

Evening all - Now the saddle is complete for Scoot and Frankie I thought I'd compare the S2 saddle with the new aluminium saddle. The aluminium one weighs 3.08kg and the steel one weighs 4.36kg so very good there, for me lighter is always better. I shoved the models into FE and placed a 100kgf on the top edge of the saddle. I also assembled them on cars with the same footprint so its apples to apples in the restraint. Fore and aft the steel one deflects 0.049mm the al one deflects 0.0063mm very happy with that. The Al is 7x stiffer can't argue with that. I did the same sideways with 100kgf and the St deflects 0.0366mm and the Al deflects 0.0141mm so the al is 2.6x stiffer sideways. All in all no arguments about the result. Happy to go fwd now. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all - Now the saddle is complete for Scoot and Frankie I thought I'd compare the S2 saddle with the new aluminium saddle. The aluminium one weighs 3.08kg and the steel one weighs 4.36kg so very good there, for me lighter is always better. I shoved the models into FE and placed a 100kgf on the top edge of the saddle. I also assembled them on cars with the same footprint so its apples to apples in the restraint. Fore and aft the steel one deflects 0.049mm the al one deflects 0.0063mm very happy with that. The Al is 7x stiffer can't argue with that. I did the same sideways with 100kgf and the St deflects 0.0366mm and the Al deflects 0.0141mm so the al is 2.6x stiffer sideways. All in all no arguments about the result. Happy to go fwd now. Peter
    Was that for 19mm aluminum plate, it's a simple design so should work well made like this
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec - The base and face plate are 20mm the webs are 16mm.... The original steel version was 10mm thick. Peter

Hi Mactec - The base and face plate are 20mm the webs are 16mm.... The original steel version was 10mm thick. Peter
    I Imagination that you could do more with this saddle design, you can have the front plate so it can be adjusted for traming the spindle in that plane, traming is always a design problem in that plane, fabrication like this is always good, it means you can always make changes and still have a ridged part.
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec -Yes tramming is an issue. Next dream is to design a tramming system into the saddle. There seems to be scope to do this but no good ideas yet.... Any commercial solutions out there someone may know about for ideas? Peter

something like a Tribrach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribrach_(instrument)

there is also matching spherical surfaces with a central bolt systems

I was going to get some of these DIN 6319.pdf (elesa-ganter.com)

Morning All - I was going to mount my Ozito router on Frankie. Yesterday my spindle shaft broke on Scoot. So today I shall make a mount for it. I'll order a new spindle for Scoot. Had to make the Frankie mount anyway... Peter

Heres the clamp - Ozi Tool to the rescue. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by benwrite1 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am ben, and as a graphic designer employed with consulting structural engineers at Adelaide https://www.oprojectservices.com/adelaide/. I am very happy due to the high information available here related to my profession.
    I appreciate your kindness.

Hi All - Frankie's main motion parts arrived today. So I can move he/she fwd again. The aluminium motor mounts are excellent. Light and well cast & machined. I'm glad I didn't order the ballscrews as the Al mounts are a bit longer then the steel ones. The dwg supplied was a bit vague so I waited for the actual item... So now to model them up and get the ballscrews on order. Plus do the wall foundations etc etc etc. A few things to get moving... Peter

Hi All - Frankie's main motion parts arrived today. So I can move he/she fwd again. The aluminium motor mounts are excellent. Light and well cast & machined. I'm glad I didn't order the ballscrews as the Al mounts are a bit longer then the steel ones. The dwg supplied was a bit vague so I waited for the actual item... So now to model them up and get the ballscrews on order. Plus do the wall foundations etc etc etc. A few things to get moving... Peter
    Did you get them from Best or a different supplier, that is a good design as the main part the Bearing housing is getting the thrust loading bolted down and this mount is doing just that.
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec- The bearing mounts are through BST LInear. Part number HM-12 Nema23. Peter

Hi All - Picked up Frankies saddle today. Very happy, screwed together perfectly. Now I can check the Z height on Scoots assembly and adjust Frankies wall or gantry height to max the z motion. The guy whos interested in Frankie has been doing Fusion tuts and he's just getting into the NC side of it so all good so far... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frankies saddle 1.jpg   Xmas in august 1.jpg  

Hi All -Turned out the machinist had missed two holes in Frankies saddle face plate So I sent it back and while he corrected that he built the new adaptor plate for Scoot. Today I fitted the new 1.5kW ER17 spindle to Scoot and ordered some 10mm diameter tools. These will be much better for making gantries then 6mm tools. So I have cleaned out some jobs and can get back to Frankie at last... The 1.5kW is really solid on Scoot. I'm tempted to put one on Frankie... Peter

Evening all - I've cleared out several projects and now I'm back to Frankie. Today I gave it (got to be non-binary these days) a wipe over and finished off the thread inserts. I then measured up the wall height to check its high enough for the new extended z axis. Seems OK. I also decided to make new wall tops to include space for cable chains.... Frankie is now the top project to get done!! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Base 1.jpg  

Page 9 of 19 7891011