584,829 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Promica CNC owners

It is sad to know that Promica CNC has closed business and the owner ( Mark Huett ) does not provide product support anymore. I have uploaded the manuals of his CNC retrofit for those who might find it useful.

I'am very much satisfied with my promica. I had it for 3 years now and I used it often for prototyping my projects. My only fear right now is if something goes wrong with the controller. I do not know were to have it fixed or have a replacement upgrade. I hope you guys could share some recommendations.....

Promica CNC MX3 Manual (1)

Promica IC3A Manual (1)

Re: Promica CNC owners

Quote Originally Posted by pearldiver View Post
    My only fear right now is if something goes wrong with the controller. I do not know were to have it fixed or have a replacement upgrade. I hope you guys could share some recommendations.....
    My machine runs on a Gecko G540. I had my concerns with the custom controller - for just this reason so I did not purchase. Rest assured if your constroller fails it is very easy to convert it across and it will not cost a lot.

My machine has not/does not get a whole lot of use. I have been extreemly happy with it once setup. I have dual ball nuts and the rotary axis option.

It was a steep learning curve to get the machine running. One of the challenges has been that the X3 is not consistantly made, and I know Marc had to do many tweaks to make the kits fit - almost for every batch. The spindle is also a weak area. I needed to modify the drive ratio and replace the cheap chinese controller with a US made verson to get acceptable results.

Cheers
    Richard

Hi Guys,

I am glad someone started this thread, as I am also worried what to do if there are issues.

Point of fact I was machining some Alum today and the spindle speed was really erratic, slow then fast constantly.

I have a factory Promica conversion with the 4k spindle and double ball nuts and the IC3 controller.

Any idea what could cause this?

Rob.

klarmmachining Guest

interesting!

Hi Richard, I have found a promica build thread that it similar to your CNC conversion. He only bought the hardware / motor from Mark and the controller is a Gecko G540. I was checking this type of controller at ebay and the cost to build is very minimal :-) ......and by the way, thanks for sharing :-) :-) :-)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...-x3-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by swarfmeister View Post
    My machine runs on a Gecko G540. I had my concerns with the custom controller - for just this reason so I did not purchase. Rest assured if your constroller fails it is very easy to convert it across and it will not cost a lot.

My machine has not/does not get a whole lot of use. I have been extreemly happy with it once setup. I have dual ball nuts and the rotary axis option.

It was a steep learning curve to get the machine running. One of the challenges has been that the X3 is not consistantly made, and I know Marc had to do many tweaks to make the kits fit - almost for every batch. The spindle is also a weak area. I needed to modify the drive ratio and replace the cheap chinese controller with a US made verson to get acceptable results.

Cheers
    Richard

Has anyone connected an Ethernet smooth stepper to a Promica controller?

I found the problem with my mill.

The driven timing pulley setscrew undid itself and the key ripped the guts out of the pulley and was spinning on the shaft. The 27T5/24 pulley is hard to get, but PIES has them in stock in Melbourne.

This is only pilot bored, but I have a lathe and can fix that.

I will be using Loctite on the set screw this time and suggest others may wish to check this as well.

Rob.

I have a Promica X3. My Zaxis has had a crash and damaged the infared homing sensor and require another. I have found this (below) but its only confusing me. Electronics is not my forte.
    By the way - I think if Mark had his way he would still be selling and servicing his Promica kits. I believe he has serious health issues.

Optical Sensors - Photointerrupters - Slot Type - Logic Output | Sensors, Transducers | DigiKey

I'm assuming the damaged sensor doesn't have a part number on it, is that correct?

I replaced the home sensors a few years ago, I wasn't happy with the repeatability of homing so I substituted one with an internal schmidt trigger with 5 wires.

Can't find the sensors I took out, must have binned them, as I recall they*have 4 wires and a resistor.

I'll search a bit more but if I can't find them I'm happy to assist you in installing the 5 wire sensor.

Where are you, me 3122.

Thanks Bigatom for your interest and reply. Marcs design of the Z sensor bracketry is not as good as the sensors on the other two axis's(?). I had one episode a couple of years ago which damaged the sensor. I was unable to find part no.'s or manufacturers details on it but managed to revive with the assistance of some araldite. After the more recent episode it is beyond saving.
    I was hoping to get a direct replacement rather that get into a rework as I have sufficient on plate already. However I would be interested in how a 5 wire unit fits into the scheme of things

The current is a 3 wire - some pics from the manual attached. Thanks

Attachment 298436

Hi imperative,

Have to agree, the Z axis sensor bracket is not as well engineered as the other Promica parts, adjusting it is a bit of a trial as well.

The actual sensor has 4 wires, 2 for the LED and 2 for the photo transistor. The 2 ground sides connect to the shield, other photo transistor wire connects to the white and the other LED wire connects via a resistor to the red wire. Resistor is needed to limit LED current.

Jaycar have ZD1901 Photo interrupter, which provided it it is the right physical size I think would do the job along with a 180 Ohm 1/4 W resistor.

Have a look at the data sheet, top image is top view and bottom image is bottom view (convenient!), connect K and E to the shield, C to the white wire, A to one end of the 180 Ohm resistor and other end of resistor to the white wire.

Suggest you try it out on the bench first, connect it up, turn it on, if nothing nasty happens continue. Assuming you use Mach3 select the diagnostic page and have a look at the home LEDS on the right hand side, you should be able to turn them on and off by putting something opaque in the photo interrupter slot, a steel rule for instance (provide no other axis is on home).

If it works I'd do it a bit different to the original and not try and to jam the resistor in but do it all in line at the end of the cable, offsetting the joints to reduce possibility of shorts and insulate with heat shrink as required. I did my mod that way and wrapped a bit foam rubber round it and slotted in in above the top bearing to get*it out of the way.

Thanks again bigatom. I was unaware these were called photo interrupters. I searched for infared sensors, led sensors, fork sensors - did spend significant time on the jaycar site but couldn't find anything. Without physically comparing, what you have suggested looks spot on. I don't see a resistor in the current set up - just the three wires into a terminal block on the back of the axis card. Could the resistor be mounted on the card? I have to pull the axis and better shim it as I am getting to much backlash at present. I will attend to sensor at the same time. As I indicated I have a bit on my plate on the moment but will get to it!

By the way I am in Newcastle NSW.

Thanks again, regards...

I remember the resistor jammed in the plastic block between the sensor and the bracket. It's not on the card or terminal block.

It's needed or the LED will die instantly with 5V across it.

Quote Originally Posted by imperative View Post

By the way I am in Newcastle NSW.
    Too far to walk!

Hi imperative,

I bought a second hand SX3 Promica mill a few years ago and it was very poorly assembled and the limit switches where damaged .
    So I replaced them with the Jaycar ZD1901 Photo interrupter and if I remember correctly there was no resister, if you look at the
    spec of ZD1901 Photo interrupter they are rated at 5V . When I replaced mine I think they where connected A and C to red K to shield E to white but
    I could be wrong it was a while go that I replaced them.

By the way I also live in Newcastle

Graeme

Thanks for your input Graeme. I definitely know there are no resistors visible in any of the homing switches in my machine - either non-existent or buried somewhere. I know that both times my Z axis sensor was damaged it played havoc with the 5V on the controller.
    I purchased my machine in 2010. I think Marc had been producing kits earlier and had a break. I think my machine was if not the first, one of the first he produced when he resumed from that break. Perhaps there is differing spec's in some machines?

Near to Broadmeadow Graeme?

I had a look at one of my original switches and there is no resistor .The person I bought my mill off told me it was one of the first super X3 to have one of Marc kits fitted.
    So my control box is most likely an early version. The Jaycar ZD1901 Photo interrupter have work fine on my mill for the last three years.

I live in Medowie

Hello again Promicer's (?)

Another disaster has beset me. Whilst preparing to machine something it appears an aluminium chip found its way into my keyboard. I had just inserted a USB stick into the computer with the code for my job to load to Mach 3 and the computer started 'eating' (deleting) the code and acting up in other strange ways. I consequently took the computer to a repair man thinking I had corrupted the OS. A hundred bucks later I got it home and plugged everything in and it did virtually the same thing again - I eventually deduced that it was the chip in the keyboard causing the problem. Everything is ok with the exception of Mach 3 - it comes up with 'external e-stop' requested problem/error. This appears a somewhat common Mach 3 problem but the suggest fixes do not work in my case (I haven't followed the 'noise' fix suggestions but it was working ok prior). I am at the point now where I don't know if I'm Arfur or Marfa as far as the mach 3 program goes so I'm thinking of a fresh install. Therein lies my problem - Marc used to provide an XML file for the setup of Promica downloadable through his website and ... you guessed it .... I don't have a copy (I think that was 3 computers ago) Can someone provide my with a copy of that XML file or manually provide me with the set up info?

Check that you did not bump the red safety switch.

That will cause the issue you mention.

Otherwise PM me and I will get a copy of that XML file for you, but I bet it is not a Mach-3 issue.

Rob.

My disk died, and my backup is corrupt!

Would anyone be able to send me a copy of the XML file for Ultra turnkey version of the Promica X3 mill?

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I too was very sad to hear about Marc - a really nice bloke. I worked with him in our old Computer company before he went into the CNC business and I was one of his first Customers for the conversion kit for a Super X3. Agree with the inconsistency of the Sieg manufacturing - it must have been a nightmare for Marc and the precision he strived to and also achieved!

Here are two XML configuration files in a ZIP file. The default and the one I have still running and am using on my mill to this day.
    Note my mill has the larger Z axis motor so the sprocket ratio is 1:1 and not 2:1 as per X and Y and the default Z.

I am still using Mach-3 Version: R3.042.040 with Windows XP and have not needed/bothered to upgrade for a very long time.

Let me know if I missed something or if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Hi Imperative,

Although this is an old post, thought the following may come in useful for someone, someday.

The Promica controller is now somewhat dated and periodically, a bit of dust or more likely oxidation may have formed on the contacts between the driver boards pins and mother board sockets. This issue occurs occasionally and can be resolved by:

1. Power off everything
    2. Jiggle the driver boards, plugs, cables and sockets in an around the rear of the controller box - be careful not to loosen the board seatings otherwise you'll have to dismantle it
    3. Power on

Sometimes also, a power cycle of the Promica controller while Mach-3 is already running, then press the controller "eStop" and/or "Enable" switches and then the Mach-3 screen "Reset" button.

Finally, the Promica controller, by default has an inbuilt idle timeout which when it expires after no activity, you have to press the controller "Enable" switch to re-enable the controller, then press the Mach-3 "Reset" screen button and all comes good again.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12