584,812 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

touch probe not working

I have had UCCNC (AXBB-E) for several years with no problems at all. The last week or so when I press the touch probe button to zero the Z on the touch probe the spindle/bit does not stop and bounce back up, it wants to keep going and bury itself in the touch probe. I am sure have inadvertedly changed a setting but can't figure out which one. Please help.

On the diagnostics page it says the probe is working when I touch it to the bit.

Re: touch probe not working

Have you checked to see that the switch is still working? Normally it stops when it receives input from the home switch, but if that doesn't happen it will just keep going, like yours does.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Have you checked to see that the switch is still working? Normally it stops when it receives input from the home switch, but if that doesn't happen it will just keep going, like yours does.
    Thanks Andrew, Pardon me for being a rookie, but which switch, and how do you get it to work? I can home all right.

Sounds like you have an electrical problem of some sort. Perhaps a lose wire or something similar.

What sort of touch probe are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Sounds like you have an electrical problem of some sort. Perhaps a lose wire or something similar.

What sort of touch probe are you using?
    Is a round aluminum plate with wires screw into the bottom through a hole on the side. It plugs into a port on one of the gantry uprights. Similar to the Axiom touch probe. None of the wires seem loose but I will double check.

Quote Originally Posted by turosan View Post
    Is a round aluminum plate with wires screw into the bottom through a hole on the side. It plugs into a port on one of the gantry uprights. Similar to the Axiom touch probe. None of the wires seem loose but I will double check.
    I think you need to measure continuity, not just "feel" or look at it. Also, when you test, don't let it run down to the table, but touch the tip of the mill to see that it really stops in time. That way you have time to push the E-stop BEFORE it crashes into the probe.

Another thing, I don't actually understand what is happening. You say "the Z on the touch probe the spindle/bit does not stop and bounce back up, it wants to keep going and bury itself in the touch probe."

What does it mean "it bounces back"? Can you describe in more detail, using different words what actually is happening?

I think you need to measure continuity, not just "feel" or look at it. Also, when you test, don't let it run down to the table, but touch the tip of the mill to see that it really stops in time. That way you have time to push the E-stop BEFORE it crashes into the probe.

Another thing, I don't actually understand what is happening. You say "the Z on the touch probe the spindle/bit does not stop and bounce back up, it wants to keep going and bury itself in the touch probe."

What does it mean "it bounces back"? Can you describe in more detail, using different words what actually is happening?
    When working when the mill touches the probe it "retracts" (bounces) back up a short distance, instead it crashes into the touch probe so I e stop it. It started doing it some of the time when I started playing with offsets, now its doing it all the time. I have cleared all the offsets (I think) but it still does it.

Quote Originally Posted by turosan View Post
    When working when the mill touches the probe it "retracts" (bounces) back up a short distance, instead it crashes into the touch probe so I e stop it. It started doing it some of the time when I started playing with offsets, now its doing it all the time. I have cleared all the offsets (I think) but it still does it.
    OK, it is still a bit unclear. Try this:

Are you doing a two step probing? Fast probing (step 1) and then retract and slow probing (step 2) for better accuracy? Answer yes or no.

Is it doing a retract after step one? Yes or no.

After that retract it moves down again and not stopping on touch? Yes or no.

If yes to all three then it sounds like you have a setting issue. It does not seem to retract far enough before it starts the second (I guess slower) probing, and it seems that though it touches the surface, it does not recognize the touch. It sounds like you have the zero configured somewhere below the probe, which is why it is crashing, it tries to move to that position. You say you cleared out ALL offsets. Maybe you cleared out one too many...?

OK, it is still a bit unclear. Try this:

Are you doing a two step probing? Fast probing (step 1) and then retract and slow probing (step 2) for better accuracy? Answer yes or no.

No one step then retracts.

Is it doing a retract after step one? Yes or no.

Yes

After that retract it moves down again and not stopping on touch? Yes or no.

No just one touch and retract and its ready, or should be.

If yes to all three then it sounds like you have a setting issue. It does not seem to retract far enough before it starts the second (I guess slower) probing, and it seems that though it touches the surface, it does not recognize the touch. It sounds like you have the zero configured somewhere below the probe, which is why it is crashing, it tries to move to that position. You say you cleared out ALL offsets. Maybe you cleared out one too many...?
    That is what I think also. When I was playing with the offsets I'm sure it saved a Z position that is giving me fits. For the last three years I have moved the spindle to the datum position, after homing, loaded the file, zeroed all axis, then raised the spindle and introduced the touch probe. Never had an issue. From what I see you are saying, I should just zero the X and Y then raise the spindle and probe?