584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

DRILLING - Shear Hog

One thing I've seen mentioned a couple times (and its on the spec sheet from AB) is that you can drill with the Shear Hog. What I have not seen is a video showing how effectively it does so. The first video I recall seeing on the Shear Hog from John back in 2015 mentions it, but I don't recall seeing him do it. If it drilled nicely wouldn't the fast way to clear a pocket be to drill to a reasonable step depth, and then mill out from there? Every time I've seen it the video showed ramping. In fact the only example of "drilling" I saw was in that video from Mr Saunders back in 2015 where he used plunge milling to clean up a corner. One might argue that's a sort of drilling but it isn't really.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Re: DRILLING - Shear Hog

FYI: I drill to depth with center cutting endmills all the time because it often does take less time than ramping.
    Bob La Londe

I tried drilling (not ramping into a larger hole) using the 3/4-inch Shear hog (Tormach PN: 35571) with unacceptable results. It simply doesn't centre cut. Other Shear hog versions may work better. My Shear hog works well to clear corners that don't require centre cutting.

I have never seen a shear hog that claimed to center / plunge cut. Just looking at them you can tell even the smallest unit has a dead spot that wont cut.
    You can get insert cutters that can center cut. I think dijet has one. Also tormach modular insert cutters has one or 2 styles that claim to plunge or center cut.
    I have been wanting to pickup some to use with sprutcams plunge rouging option. Add a new tool path option to my bag of cam tricks. Of course standard endmills will work for plunge roughing, but it seems hard on the cutter to use just the end and so I avoid using this option.

Directly off the AB website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shear Hog Drills In Z.jpg  
    Bob La Londe

I emailed AB and they said "single flute in a toolholder not in a collet." That seems like it would let out TTS because it's always in that 3/4 TTS collet.

Here is a video they sent.
    Bob La Londe

Cool
    Guess i didnt see the smaller unit.
    Still looks like it is going to be using the entire insert profile to pull that off.
    The insert I often see on sheer hogs have a distinct profile that does not look optimal for plunge anything.
    Im a tool user not a designer so I adapt to the design and intentions of tool maker. If it works then it works.
    Anyway, modern material specific well-designed tooling is the answer to good results period.

If the tool is 3/4" dia then install a tts collar on it and your good to go with no collet

It's still in the R8 TTS collet.
    Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    It's still in the R8 TTS collet.
    I see your talking taper. Not the r8 system tormach uses.
    I was thinking er collet for some reason

I have actual R8 tool holders that I use in the South Bend 1028B, but its a bit of a pain to swing the air cylinder out of the way and swap the draw bar to use one in the Tormach for one tool out of a batch of tools for a job. I don't really need a high volume insert tool on the South Bend. Still I am always looking for something to improve operation and cycle time withing my budget. A couple hundred dollars for a tool is within my budget usually.
    Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I have actual R8 tool holders that I use in the South Bend 1028B, but its a bit of a pain to swing the air cylinder out of the way and swap the draw bar to use one in the Tormach for one tool out of a batch of tools for a job. I don't really need a high volume insert tool on the South Bend. Still I am always looking for something to improve operation and cycle time withing my budget. A couple hundred dollars for a tool is within my budget usually.
    Fun fact though. I often use TTS tooling in a 3/4 collet on the South Bend if that where the tool I need happens to be.
    Bob La Londe

The video appears to show "drilling" using a two-insert Shear-hog that is centre cutting rather than the Tormach single insert 35571 that is not centre cutting. A big difference!

The video I watched showed a 3 insert cutter that wasnt center cutting at the beginning??

I am either getting too old or my eyes are deceiving me but the tool shown at the beginning would not center cut unless I am missing something..........
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    The video I watched showed a 3 insert cutter that wasnt center cutting at the beginning??

I am either getting too old or my eyes are deceiving me but the tool shown at the beginning would not center cut unless I am missing something..........
    I see same thing. some tool maker and video magic!
    Anyway this thread lost me when I suggested using a tts collar mounted on the 3/4 shear hog tool and was told its still in a collet. What does the mean? What is the difference? What is an "actual r8 tool holder" mentioned above? How is it any different than a tts r-8 collet, other than the tts r-8 collet has a ground flat face for tts system to set against for repeatability?

Most (all?) of the Shear-hogs are non-centre cutting in the normal sense. That is you can't drill a deep hole with one. However, they will cut a shallow annulus. Perhaps what they are showing is cutting the annulus and then moving off centre to complete the pocket. The linked video appears to show a rather shallow DoC relative to my usual choice on even my under-powered Tormach..

From AB (two different people):

"The 1” single flute Shear-hog can drill in Z using a solid holder, not a collet, and a peck drilling cycle. Typically around 30IPM and .100”-.200” pecks depending on your machines hp . If you follow this link it shows a shear-plunging .200” deep and then interpolating. It would just as easily drill with the peck."

"You can drill in Z with the single flute Shear-Hog cutters. We suggest 5 IPM when drilling."

Contradictory responses regarding plunge feed. Maybe the comment about HP is relevant to that. Both indicate that singe flute Shear Hogs can drill. Yes I noted the movie magic switch. I have not seen a single flute Tormach version Shear Hog. Perhaps the comment about "not in a collet" specifically refers to the TTS collet system and its relatively low holding force compared to something drawn down by the draw bar instead of belleville spring washers. I've never (so far) had a tool slip in the South Bend mill with is impact tightened solid drawbar.

I was waiting for more feedback from actual users before sending any follow up questions.
    Bob La Londe

Ok in follow up I sent a second email to AB Tools and said,
    Thank all of you for the multiple replies.
    I have a Tormach mill (and other mills) where I might like to use the Shear Hog made for Tormach.

In this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...shear-hog.html I asked other Tormach users about drilling with a Shear Hog and the response was not favorable, although some of the parties obviously were looking at Shear Hog tools other than the single flute ones.

In the responses I received from you and others with AB tools there were a couple comments made that raised big questions.

1. Specifically will the single flute Tormach verson 3/4 inch Shear Hog drill when mounted in the 3/4 inch R8 TTS collet with the standard spring washer stack holding the collet in the machine spindle with the collar seated against the spindle nose?

2. What plunge rate and peck distance are realistic if it will?
    They responded,
    The video in the link shows how the single flute Shear-Hogs can drill to a 3/8" max depth, before milling.The little nub at center (resulting from the drill operation) will be wiped away by the subsequent milling operation.
    We suggest 5 IPM when drilling.
    Please note the Shear-Hog is a rough milling cutter, and it's not intended as a drill.
    The single flute configuration allows it to plunge instead of ramping in.
    I note conspicuously absent is any response to being used in an R8 collet or using the Tormach specific version of the tool in a Tormach TTS configuration. My conclusion. I'm not going to buy it to find out. Its not like I have mad piles of YouTube ad revenue to spend on things I don't know will be beneficial to my operation.
    Bob La Londe

Their response is essentially what I suggested as a limitation although 3/8-inch seems somewhat optimistic with 3/16 being closer to reality. All that said, I love my Shear-Hog and use it daily in both aluminum and Delrin.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Their response is essentially what I suggested as a limitation although 3/8-inch seems somewhat optimistic with 3/16 being closer to reality. All that said, I love my Shear-Hog and use it daily in both aluminum and Delrin.
    I agree, Just looking at the tool will tell you what is possible. No need for a video to explain it.
    The price tormach puts on those hog tools is silly! I would like that explained

I have every shear-Hog size up to 5" and they all will plunge cut; I have never tried the 3/4" as a drill so just for a test I will try it today

Most have a Weldon type shank, and are used with a lock setscrew holder, any of the 5/8" and 3/4" straight shank shear-Hogs can be used in any type of collet ER or R8 is fine

Most hobby machines will struggle with the lack of Hp and rigidity to take full advantage of the bigger size Shear-Hogs, bigger sizes can be used though with light cuts.
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12