585,676 active members*
4,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Outputting positional data to LCD display

Outputting positional data to LCD display

Hi all

Im getting ready to put together a new PlanetCNC Mk3/4 board based X2 mill controller, using the PlanetCNC software.

While I will be using a connected laptop all the time I am using it for machining, I would like to be able to output the X,Y and Z positions to a separate display so that I can use it for 'manual' work.

Is there a way to do this, either via the board direct or via some kind of USB output. Ideally, both absolute and relative dimensions would be displayed. I would probably try to install remote zeroing and jog buttons, but believe that is all within the board capability already.

Cheers

Les

Re: Outputting positional data to LCD display

API contains Arduino project which shows' how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    API contains Arduino project which shows' how to do this.
    Hi, can you explain what you mean by API, and where to find it? Im familiar with using Arduinos, but not in this context, as i use them for instruments on my flight sim rig using an output program.

Thanks

Les

I found the API 'information ' in the software section of the webpage, however the tutorials are just extracts of code rather than a guide on how to use it. None of the examples have information on what they do.

If I am not looking in the right place please let me know, but as it stands I am unable to see how to contruct the sketch. The API .pdf gives the parameters for inserting into the sketch in the INFO section, but does not include the basic construction data that I can use. What libraries do I use?

If anyone has a sketch that they can point me to that interfaces with the board or software, with an explanation of what it does I can try to reverse engineer a sketch with the positionsl data. Without that I don't know where to start.

Les

ProjectMicro2 is exactly what you need.
    Currently it just sends position info back to controller (useless) but you can use it to show on display.

Data transfer is configured with Usb.txt file which needs to be copied to your profile folder.

Note that this only works with AtMega16u4 and AtMega32u4 based Arduinos because they are only ones that feature USB HID.
    https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-micro

If you plan to use graphical display then I suggest using Teensy Teensy 3.2.
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html
    and Teensyduino
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

It is much more powerful and has plenty of memory for graphics, fonts,...

If you'll start this project I can offer you full developer support. Contact me on email for details.
    All I ask in return is that you'll have your project available for others to recreate.

That's great, let me have a look at all that and compile it.

As for sharing, absolutely no problem; most of my projects have used sketches developed by other like minded people as a basis for my own sketches so I would be more than happy to post anything useful and that works on here, or if you want so that it can be shared via the PlanetCNC site. That includes diagrams, schematics and any cad or stl files

Cheers

Les

Attached Files Attached Files