584,837 active members*
5,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

StyleCNC STM1325-R1 Wiring questions

Thank you in advance with all who can help me with my questions.

I purchased my CNC from StyleCNC some months back, and now that I have it, I of course have many of questions. The main thing right now though, is the wiring. They seem to have labeled the areas on the machine that I need to run wires to, only I do not know which one goes where. My machine came with 2 vacuum pumps (2RB-710-A21) and a dust collector (No# but it is a single phase motor).

The breakers in the cabinet are LS1D32 32AMP breakers.

This is where I get lost. All I ever find are videos on 3phase and or just a quick demo by someone showing off the item, but not how it is wired with my particular setup. I am in the USA, so trying to figure out from videos showing very little and or differently wired configuration is making this rather difficult.I do not know where I am supposed to run the wires from what to what. Do the vacuum wires go to the breakers (in the cabinet), or do they go to the slots on the bottom labeled vacuum1/vacuum2 and the wires from the breaker panel (the main power from my workshop) go where? And of course, I do not see any grounding for the 240, so, I guess I would need some sort of bus bar or a screw of some sorts to ground all this.

I am not sure what wire should go where with anything. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Re: StyleCNC STM1325-R1 Wiring questions

Yes, you need a ground, and need to run ground wires to each motor. A ground bus bar would be perfect. Or you could use the spare terminals as ground connections, just run a ground wire to the back panel to ground it also.

The power wires to the motors would be connected to the terminals at the bottom of the cabinet. Not sure what the extra power terminals are for.

240V from your shop power would be connected to the Main Power terminal at the bottom, L1 (hot 1) to L1 and L2 (hot 2) to N. Standard USA wire colors would be L1 red, L2 black, and Ground green. Chinese wire colors are normally L1 brown, L2 (N) blue, and Ground green/yellow. Your shop neutral would not be connected to anything in this panel.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you so much for the reply.

I guess I forgot to include the Lathe attachment.

I for some reason thought each item got it's own 240V breaker, I didn't know the one 240 could run both Vacuums and dust along with the machine. I would assume the Lathe would get its own breaker as that makes more sense now that you explained it to me.
    So now I have to figure out how much draw from the dust/2 vacuums and the machine are so I can figure out what size amp breaker I would need. I see the ones installed in the machine are 30, so maybe start with that?

So something along the lines what I did in the image?

Depending on the lathe motor power, it looks like a 50 amp supply breaker would be OK. Wired with #6 wire from your shop breaker panel to the machine. Your grounding concept looks good.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Awesome, thank you for all the help, this has been weighing on my mind for days now much to my annoyance of trying to figure it out on my own. When I wire it up, I will come back with the results (with images and such, in cause someone else comes looking for the same information).

If I base this off of the assumption that L1 Brown is hot, and L2 Blue is also hot then I would do nothing with the red and black wires on far right and just put a ground bolt in that hole to the left and ground green there?

I think I read something about switching wires around to get the fan to go in the right direction.

Yes, the ground would connect to the bolt hole on the left.

The wiring looks correct as it is. But if the motor turns backwards then you may have to do something with the wires on the right hand post. I hope there is a wiring diagram somewhere, this could get complicated without that. That may require swapping a couple of wires, but I have no idea which ones.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I talked with the people I purchased the CNC machine from and we sort of had it right on how to wire it. In the end, with my 30 AMP service, I have two 30 amp breakers in the box on the wall. They connect to the far left and second from the left posts (I forgot to the the plates back on, but those are the MAIN power and 220V 1P plates in the other pictures. The other three on the right, being the vacuum1 and vacuum2 along with the dust go directly to their units.

The issue I am getting is when I flip the switch, I can get everything on but the Dust. When I flip the dust on, I get a really loud BRRRRRR sound, and the breaker in the CNC cabinet that is for the dust starts to shake really hard (Which I assume is tripping, but since there is no trip bar on it, it just makes a sound).

I guess I am pulling too much power for my 30AMP service. Though the odd thing is, even if I have everything off, and just turn on the dust, it still makes the really loud BRRRRR sound.

I have 10guage wire for everything.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Let's clarify, on the left is a 2 pole breaker, to the right of that is a single pole breaker, then next to the right are 4 contactors (big relays) not breakers. I assume that one of these is vibrating? The vibrating is called chattering, and normally means that the voltage to the coil is dropping below the hold in voltage. This is most likely due to a excessive current draw and accompanying voltage drop.

I see 3 possibilities, 1) the the dust motor is wired wrong and is drawing too much power, 2) you aren't supplying enough power to the system to start the dust motor, 3) motor shaft jammed. I guess there is one other possibility; bad motor. Not likely but not impossible.

I would think that a 30 amp feed with #10 wire would be enough to start a 2.5kW motor, so most likely you have a motor wired incorrectly or possibly the shaft on the dust is jammed and won't allow the motor to turn.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Both the left and the one to the right are two 30amp 2pole breakers. Both are getting 220Volts when I check the posts (where the wires are connected) on the bottom of the cabinet, so I know they are both getting the correct volts.

Yeah, I kept forgetting what those things were called, relays, or contractors. I think they wired them up wrong.

The picture might help with what is going on. I am thinking they wired something up wrong with what I found out by doing a little testing.

I guess it's time to start tracing some wires.

I guess first I would disconnect the motors from the terminals and see if the contactors pull in properly. That will tell the story if there is a motor problem.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

So, I did a bit of checking, and I am thinking they wired something wrong. I am waiting on the companies reply, but from what I can tell, Contactor 2,3,4 should all draw power from 220V/1P connection. While the Main Power should only drive Contactor 1 (which is the Inverter), but it also pushes power to Contactor 4.

Contactor 4 seems to do a lot. It daisy chains wires from the control switches on the Cabinet cnc door, and it also daisy chains N wire, which I still don't know what that means, but it is a smaller gauge wire that connects multiple contactors together. I assume it does mean Neutral. But there is no Neutral on this panel from what I can tell.

The pdf gives a better overview of what is going.

Don't be confused by the ''N'', this would be the common designation for European wiring. In North America it would be L2, just the other ''Hot'' wire. The North American Neutral is not used in this system. This confuses many people.

I can provide further clarification if needed.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

No, that is making more sense now, thanks.

What I did come across now, is if I don't turn on the breaker for the Main power, and just turn on the breaker for the 220V/1P breaker. I can flip on all the switches and they do nothing... No volts get sent to Vacuum1/2 or Dust.

So, Main power Breaker has to be turned on for the switches to send power to Vacuum1/2 and Dust. Of course, it still causes Contactor 2 to chatter like hell.

I can also have the breaker for the Main power be on, and the 220V/1P breaker be turned off, and contactor 2 still chatters like hell.

Disconnect the motor cables from the terminals and see if the contactors pull in properly or if they still chatter.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

And when you say the motor cables, you are referring to the Vacuum1/2 and dust that I wired in at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmartin2501 View Post
    And when you say the motor cables, you are referring to the Vacuum1/2 and dust that I wired in at the bottom?
    Yes. You need to know if a motor is causing the problem and the easiest way to answer that question is to disconnect the motors.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Alright, I removed the connections from the Vacuum1/2 and Dust. It still made the sound on Contactor 2.

OK, that is actually a good thing. That means the motors are not the problem.

So either you have a bad contactor, the contactor coil is the wrong voltage, or there is a wiring error. I suppose it is also possible that you could have a bad switch.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I did a little changing of connections. I did at one point get all the switches on. I got a chatter from 2, then it stopped. I quickly checked to see if it was getting the correct volts and it was only getting about 2 to 3 volts. I turned the switch back off, waited about 10 seconds then tried it again, and all it did was chatter. Did a quick ohms test and it was only getting 50 volts.

With the wire change I show in the picture, it seems that there is nothing wired wrong to connector 2. I am not sure if there ever was, but maybe just a bad contactor. It still made sense to move the connection from contactor 4 to not talk to contactor 1. And only have 2, 3 and 4 on the same breaker.

Between all 3 connections, they are pushing somewhere around 20 amps.

I guess the last test I could do to really make sure the contactor is bad, is remove all the connections from 3 and 4, just have 2 by itself and see what happens. It seems like a lot of work to verify what already seems like a bad contactor.

Page 1 of 2 12