584,863 active members*
4,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Commercial Laser > G.Weike Laser > GWeike LC1612 - Electrical Confusion & Nonsense North America

Question GWeike LC1612 - Electrical Confusion & Nonsense North America

Hi there,

I recently bought a:

GWeike LC1612 CO2 Laser Cutter - 220v
    CW5000 Water Chiller - 220v
    Air Filter Cabinet - 220v
    Air Compressor - 220v

The electrician came in to look at setting up a circuit for this in the shop, and he had a lot of questions before he could get it good to go. Unfortunately, I've been having a really hard time getting anyone at GWeike to help me out with any of the questions and the manual is kind of useless in this regard. (The one they sent has completely different outlets and everything as to what was pictured.)

So, here in Canada the voltage out the wall is 110/120, and I see that inside of my laser cutter there is a 115/220(230) converter. Does anyone know if I plug in the wall with it set to the 115, will it convert for the laser AND the three plugs on the back?

Also, to be a little extra confusing, the outlets on the back all look like standard North American plugs which is great for the chiller, but the air filter cabinet and air compressor both have Type C plugs which would not fit in the wall OR the back of the laser cutter's Type B outlets on the back. Has anyone had this issue? I ordered them all at the same time from GWeike so I don't understand why they aren't just simply compatible.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! (This is all probably really simple stuff but I'm just really thrown for a loop and the electrician didn't have any idea what was happening either (and this electrician has set up several shops with large CNCs before so I feel a little better that it's not just me))

Thanks!!

Re: GWeike LC1612 - Electrical Confusion & Nonsense North America

Need photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right, sorry - here are pictures of the converter, the air compressor and filter plugs and the back of the machine.

The plug is a standard European 220 V plug used in every home there. You do have split phase electricity in Canada like we have in the US, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like the assembly/packaging/shipping department seriously screwed up. You seem to have a miss match of hardware. The electrical box seems to be a 120/240 input, but does not look like it would convert 120 to 240. It's no wonder your electrician was confused. This is on GWeike to get this resolved.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That's kind of what I thought! After walking through some stuff with another electrician, looks like we'll have to switch out the plugs on the machines and just set up 220 outlets because that converter is definitely not converting up (we tested).

I sincerely doubt GWeike is going to do anything in this case, but we at least have a plan to move forward and I feel a bit more validated that it wasn't just me having a blonde moment or something and not being able to piece it together.

Thanks all!

For the blower, take a look at the manufacturer's engraved label and confirm that the motor operates at 60Hz, and perhaps also at your AC voltage, and also its wattage as it likely requires more power than available on the converter.