This is just in the planning stages in that the parts (hopefully all of them!) Are ordered.

I have a 1200*900 Chinese laser from about 8-9 years ago but it's never been great for accuracy. I have modified the lens assembly to be easier to adjust to the beam rather than needed to adjust the beam, but I covet a better system like a Kern laser had, or even the Chinese 4*8 machines but don't want that large.

So, I'm going to build one myself. I'll get a bit more cutting area in the process too. The plan is to use a sort of beefed up Acro system from openbuild parts and run mount the laser on the gantry. That should allow the alignment of the Y to basically be permanently set and less beam travel overall and thus less power loss from one corner to the other.

This is primarily for cutting although I hope engraving is possible, no reason it shouldn't be. I'll be taking the openbuilds belt drive and modifying it to run the belt flipped over a little like the belt and pinion style, for the gantry. The Y will be dual drive with actual belt and pinion kit from openbuild stuff.

The main thing I am losing is the up and down of the table but I could always make new gantry sides if I need to move the assembly higher.

I hope it will be better than the Chinese machine but it's unlikely to be worse. I'm not a 3D cad guy so I'll just be posting some photos along the way.

Old machine and a CNC will make parts for the build until the laser tube itself is ready to be transplanted.

Greg

Sent from my Nokia 3.4 using Tapatalk