584,814 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > ST10Y coolant tray cleaning/management.

ST10Y coolant tray cleaning/management.

Just looking to do my first ST10 "integrated coolant tray" cleaning. I'm sure its well know that it is an awful design. That is reflected in the many Haas coolant management and cleaning videos that conveniently only demonstrates on the pull away trays but even they don't touch the ST10 LOL

Would love to know your tips on how to tackle this one.

Also has anyone had any luck installing a tramp oil filter? There is no place I can see to even drop a belt in there.

So much working against you on coolant management with this machine! Which is frustrating as I love it otherwise.

Re: ST10Y coolant tray cleaning/management.

Since your post was a year ago I'm sure you figured it all out. I slide the conveyor out and 95% of it is pretty easy to reach. There are a couple of areas a little more challenging to get to near the pump area.

I just went thru this exercise to remove the thick sticky honey coolant from everywhere! I removed every panel and took it outside and power washed them. Pretty nasty and it seems coolant and chips make it past the wipers and end up in lots of different places.

Thanks! Yeah I found the same situation. Its probably the worst for efficient cleaning i've seen but not impossible. I lust over the simply roll away sump on the ST20's. Why they couldnt figure that out for the ST10 is beyond me. But I find having a coolant scrubber helps keep that varnishing down quite a bit. I also added the external sock filter which adds coolant volume and also helps capture the chips.

What's odd, when you look at the ST10 and ST15 floor layout, it clearly shows the dimensions for the extra roll away coolant tank.

Yes exactly! It fooled me when the machine showed up I was expecting the roll away tray. But by that time it was too late. It frustrates me every time I have to do the whole dance lol

Trilabite, Although my machine is only a couple years old when I bought it, it was missing a few parts because the folks working on it were too lazy to put them back. I've replaced missing coolant splash deflectors and a couple other things, but I think I'm missing a roller that supports the rear splash shield. On the spindle end of the machine, there is a lift off cover that allows you to see the Z axis servo. Does your machine have a small bracket with roller that holds the rear splash guard up? It's to the right of the servo. Mine has two empty bolt holes there. If you get a chance, can you see if yours has that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roller.png