584,808 active members*
5,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engineering Student CNC Project Ideas

Hey all, I'm a lab technologist at a College in Canada. and I'm helping teach a CNC course to 2nd year Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Technology students. We're brainstorming ideas for the students' final project for the term, and I thought I'd see if anyone has done anything cool in the past that they would suggest. We're using Tormach PCNC 1100s and Haas VF3s, as well as 3D printers and laser cutters (for plastic & wood).

They've been working through guided labs up to this point, and the next step is to challenge them to do their own CAD/CAM and machine their own part with minimal supervision. The idea is to get them comfortable with CAD/CAM software (we use SolidWorks and HSMWorks for CAM) as well as CNC machine operation.

In previous years, they've been asked to model and machine a small mold out of UHMW for casting urethane, but we've found that it turns into more of a surfacing exercise in SolidWorks rather than a CAM programming and machining project, and the urethane casting is messy and time consuming. Ideally, I'd like to come up with something that they can design and program themselves, and then machine in roughly 3 hours from either aluminum or plastic. If it incorporates some 3D printing and/or laser cutting as well, or is something that they can actually use, even better!

If you've made something along these lines that you think would be cool, I'd love to hear about it.
    Last edited by JD_87; 02-04-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Re: Engineering Student CNC Project Ideas

Kant twist clamp

Multiple part assemble. Lathe,mill, laser.
    pads could be printed.
    Practical project for the shop.

Dave
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]
    [/COLOR]

Re: Engineering Student CNC Project Ideas

45 years ago, my industrial technology class built machinist vise. We used a foundry back then. Today, it would be a good CNC project from a block of AL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	477596