585,970 active members*
4,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Water Table Rust Questions...

Hello All, I been here a couple of months but am new to post. I have just finished building a water table for our new 4X8 Torchmate 3. We have been cutting for a couple of weeks now and most everything is going very well except for a few concerns.

1. during operation of the torch cutting the flame is throwing water back up onto my machine and all around. Most guys I've asked say they set the water level at just right under the material thier cuttting. Is this correct or should it be a little lower? What is the recommended height of water to material?

2. and -- Is there any chemical or process I can add to my water table to get rid of the rust the water is causing not only on the slag left by the cut but also (more importantly) to the support slats in the water? The table itself is coated in rubber --but the slats are not. I am having a lot of rust build up on the support slats of the table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    hot rod kid

Don't worry about the rust, as you will need to replace the slats long before they will rust out. The interesting thing about rust is once it totaly covers a piece of metal it acts like a coating, and slows down it's own progression. Most coatings that you could put on the slats would give off fumes as you cut into them.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Contact the following company about a water table additive.

Koal Industries
    Elk Grove Village IL
    847 956 9720

Product would be Koal Quench 617.2

Rust...

Never thought about that. Before the time they would rust away they'd need replacing anyway. The side supports that hold the slats in place are stainless so there is no worry there. I was going to use the old method of arm and hammer wash and a battery charger connected to two stainless rods in the tank to just keep the water cleaner --but on second thought and a little research I am afraid the current will affect or harm the motors and torch height control on my machine! Don't want to do that---- they don't give that stuff away.
    Thanks for the input.
    hot rod kid

Thank You --I'll check into this today.

The water splashing back shouldn't be of any concern unless it were possible to soak the motor or height control connections enough to short out the electronics. On the Torchmate 4 we've never had any issues with it.

We also recommend the Koal Industries plasma quench. Although we haven't had any issues with tables that don't have any additives in the water. The slats will rust, as will the material if you let it sit in the water.

While cutting we usually recommend having the water level at the top of your slats or just touching the bottom of the material, this is the most efficient at collecting smoke and dust as well as an added bonus of keeping the material cool.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Hello Mike, I think I'm going to try the Koal Industries plasma quench --I think it'll solve my problems with that. The water splashing up is not terrible but does make a little bit of a mess. The water does not get on the connections or motors but does splash back up on the T gantry slide rail some.
    I'd like to say --- You guys have been GREAT as far as helping me out with getting the TM3 up and going! There has been no lack of support from your end at all --and I really appreciate that. Not to mention the machine itself is WONDERFUL! I researched many machines on the market and scanned cnc zone a lot before buying. And at this point I couldn't be happier.

I'll post some photos of my table before long. We made 2 tables in one. The outer table is made in the shape of a square U. The inner table is the water table which I can unbolt and roll out of the U table for cleaning away from the machine itself. Water table is sealed on the inside with a truck bed undercoating spray on rubber. I'll have photos later on.

Thanks again Mike
    hot rod kid

plasma quench

Does any one know of any other product that does the same as plasma quench.
    I contacted them back in May and placed an order and paid etc. it is now July and no plasma quench with plenty of excuses.
    Has any one else had good or bad experiences with this company?

thanks
    Clint

Plasma quench- make your own

Someone a while back posted the mixture for making your own plasma quench...May want to do a search? Not sure how well it worked.

Mick

I'll throw in my 2 cents for Plasma Quench. I've been using it for almost a year now, and don't have any problems with rust or odor. Great product. According to the MSDS sheet http://http://www2.hazard.com/msds/f2/bqr/bqrcv.html , Plasma Quench's major component is Sodium Nitrate.

Bad experience with Koal , they charged my credit card ($300+) and never shipped.....don't order unless they ship collect.
    I tried to contact them many times, and was told that it would take time to process the order. I think they are in finacial trouble.

buyer beware!
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

plasma quench

I still have not received my Plasma Quench over two months of waiting.
    They have moved to the bonnie lane and they have several complaints on their two previous addresses.
    If you have paid for Plasma Quench and not received it. Then here is the information to
    The Attorney generals office, phone number is 312-814-3000 ask for the consumer fraud division. They will be happy to help.
    Thanks
    47MLB

47MLB Thanks for the heads up. I'll give the Attorney generals office a ring.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Question

Hi All,
    I ordered Plasma Quench two weeks ago and have not received it. I will call them tomorrow and see what's up. I'll post the results.
    Mike

Oh Oh!
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

I called them today. They said they would call back. I called again. They said they would call back. I told them that I read a piece on the internet about maybe sending a call in the direction of the attorney general's office. They never called back. Tomorrow morning I will call them just to let them Know that I am calling the attorney general's office. I will turn them in tomorrow morning. I only paid for 5 gallons, but they act as though they have never heard of me. They have billed my card. I will send all of the information to the attorney general's office and let them take care of these thieves.
    Mike

This is all very unfortunate. I really like Plasma Quench. Oh well, I guess I need to start looking for a supplier of sodium nitrate. I hope you guys manage to get everything worked out.

Smile

Hi,
    I will get it straightened out. I do not like being messed with. I gaurentee my work and my product. I expect the same from all others. KOAL Industries has changed owners. If you call their number, you get a receptionist for several companies. I hope to resolve this without a fight, but fight I will.
    Plasma Quench is made up of Sodium Nitrite,((nuts)not nitrate), and Physan 20 with some dye added. I don't know the percentages, but I shall find out. You can buy the ingrediants on Ebay.
    Mike

Here is were I buy my sodium nitrite http://cgi.ebay.com/Sodium-Nitrite-9...QQcmdZViewItem sellers name is quartzpegmatite. I use 1.5lbs for my 300gallon watertable. The physan20 you can buy lots of places just google or ebay it. The only rust I have comes on some of the steel I cut and that just sinks to the bottom. If i dont stir it up cutting you can see to the bottom of the tank, water is clear. You can use food dye if you like about 1oz per 75gallons seems to work. With the dye you can see how you cuts are going better but have to drain the tank to find small parts. I keep it clear as I need to get small parts out alot.

Smile

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I will order some sodium nitrite from your source. I found them on ebay. How much physan 20 do you add?. I have a 201 gallon watertable.
    I am very happy with how my watertable cuts down on the plasma dust. I have only filled it to within 3 inches of the top. I will fill it up when I get the quench mixture in it.
    I hope everyone will make their own solution and not get ripped off by KOAL or whoever they are now.
    These forums help us all avoid problems and learn new ways to progress in our ventures.
    Thanks to all,
    Mike
    Pennington Sales and Service
    530-310-1449

Page 1 of 3 123