584,841 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

pros and cons

Two stepper motors: RHT23-260 and FL57STH76. Both NEMA23 both rated at 260 oz/in holding torque. Both physically the same dimensions or therabouts.

The RHT23-260 is 3.2V @ 2.8A/phase and inductance 3.6mH
    The FL57STH76 is 4V @ 2A/phase and inductance 6.4mH.

Can anyone compare and contrast these for me please?

All things being equal and reasonable (driver, powr supply, etc) The RTH should give you better performance as you go up in step speed, due to the lower inductance and lower coil voltage.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

cool - so far 1 nil to the RHT - anyone want to back the FL5?

The RHT will perform better at higher speeds due to the inductance.
    But is the current and inductance you mantioned in series, parallel or unipolar?
    our unipolar and parallel inductance is 1.6 mH.
    If the figures you mentioned are unipolar or parallel figures the FL57 will most likely perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Two stepper motors: RHT23-260 and FL57STH76. Both NEMA23 both rated at 260 oz/in holding torque. Both physically the same dimensions or therabouts.

Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

But is the current and inductance you mantioned in series, parallel or unipolar?
    If the figures you mentioned are unipolar or parallel figures the FL57 will most likely perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpltd View Post
    Thanks for this - when I originally posted I didn't have the extra spec that you provided (so apologies to pminmo if that would have affected your answer). mcpltd - You've confused me slightly though with your last statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpltd View Post
    The figures I've mentioned are serial according to your data sheet - so do you mean if I were to configure unipolar or parallel then the FL57 would be better?

What i meant was if the inductance figures you mantioned for the RHT motor were parallel or unipolar ratings then things would be different, and the FL57 motor would most likely perform better because the FL57 in parallel and unipolar are 1.6mH.
    Because the RHT motor is 3.6mH in series this will most likely perform better, but connecting is parallel the difference is minimal, and then it is good to look at the price difference.
    It may also be worth looking at hte FL60STH86-3008BF? This motor is 3Nm HT.
    Thanks for this - when I originally posted I didn't have the extra spec that you provided (so apologies to pminmo if that would have affected your answer). mcpltd - You've confused me slightly though with your last statement.

The figures I've mentioned are serial according to your data sheet - so do you mean if I were to configure unipolar or parallel then the FL57 would be better?

Picstep Current ?

Hiya all just finished my picstep board working champion ;-)) Thank you Alan !!! 1 question i have a 16K used as the current limit no matter what i do to the motor it wont run above 600ma was wondering if the pic is limmiting the LMD18245 or if the current is control by the PIC ? thanks

Picstep Champion

Think Alan needs a donation from all that use his board. Just a thought Been playing around with speed torque etc the whole weekend using FL86ST134 motor 5.6 amp motor and it runs like magic. On too my next s boards Will post some jpeg's 1-3 boards L6203 L238 Then the picstep board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 006.jpg   Picture 003.jpg   Picture 005.jpg  

welcome to my thread dalescnc - not sure what posts 8 and 9 have to do with the my question - but hey - nobody else seems to be forthcoming so thanks for your input - I'll bear it in mind when choosing my next motors