585,705 active members*
3,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Robocut Alpha-1B w/ 16-W Control - Basic help needed

Robocut Alpha-1B w/ 16-W Control - Basic help needed

I recently bought a Robocut wire edm, it had most of the manuals, except of course the user manual (which I ordered but has a 125 day delivery time). Unfortunately I don't have four months to wait before I consult the user manual.

I'm having a hell of a time getting a program to run. Just a small test program made with the conversational programming on the machine. A dry run works fine but if I try to run it normal, the tank just fills with water and sits there wasting wire.

Could someone tell me the proper sequence of button mashing to run/cut a program? I tried Fanuc tech support and got more "I'm not sure" and "I don't know" than I ever have with any tech support)

Any help, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

(my only other EDM experience is with a Mits FX-10 I ran for 15+ years)

Re: Robocut Alpha-1B w/ 16-W Control - Basic help needed

Hi!
    I'm quite close to Your situation, but i have a some parts of manual. If the dry run goes alright but program doesn't start the machine lock can be up.
    it's the red button on the right above the conditions button.
    As far as i know the procedure to start program is:
    -Set mode to AUTO or MDI
    -Chose program (for auto mode)
    -Turn on the generator by pressing CONDITIONS (of course u need to set values for cuttting) (buttons edm power, water, wire feed, tension should turn on with that, else U need to light them up)
    -press start cycle ( feed override should not be set to 0%)

Thanks for the reply..

I'm starting to think I have something wired wrong or am missing something more than the run sequence.. When I ran a FX-10, if the power feed (brainfarting on what they are called) had too big a groove the wire wouldn't get power and wouldn't move either until they were rotated.. This Robocut just has a couple electrode pins that I believe do the same thing (supply power to the wire itself), so am about to dig into that and see if something is wrong there.. Oh, and the volt meter on the operator panel doesn't do anything either, 4 conditions set to on or otherwise.. :-/

Maybe the meter is set to Amperage, so it won't move untill current will flow, so to check it U need to connect wire with table. U can also check voltage with any meter + is on the table and - on the wire.
    As for the propper connection U are right- there are few wires connected to the upper guide (and table) and lower guide (and table) they are coaxials connected to the terminal behind the display. i can make a picture how it looks in mine. There is not totally obvious order but what can be seen center wires of coaxials go to the wire giudes and shield wires are connected to the table.

I don't think the wire itself is getting power... tracing the wires back to the PCG board behind a panel in the side of the main box, I'm not sure if that is getting power either but I imagine it controls more than just the actual power to the wire so I think that board is good and powered properly.. Which, if it is, and I have it wired correctly (which I believe I do) then I'm not sure what else it could be but a setting I'm setting wrong.

Have you got the correct cutting conditions set? If the servo voltage is too high it will not move

I'm not entirely sure of that either.. With machine lock on it does it's thing, the volt meter moves up, testing with a multimeter shows a lot of DC volts but if I flip the switch to amps it goes to zero.. I'm trying to test cut a piece of 304 stainless, which the "technology book" doesn't have listed but I'm not seeing any spark (or movement) at all with the normal cycle start..

I would change the servo voltage down to 10 and see if it moves but chances are it will be too fast and break the wire but prove the point. Obviously make sure all 4 cutting conditions are active - tension, wire feed, water, power and it should move. If nothing happens maybe take a picture of the edm settings screen or possibly a video of what you are doing and I will see if I can help.

I wish lowering the servo voltage worked, it did not though. I'll see if I can make a video or something.. a few times now I've been able to hold cycle start down or hit some combination of buttons that would make it sound like it's going to start running then stops and where the "M Ready" was is now "B-Stop".. B-Stop is a new one for me.. what the heck is a b-stop?