584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Same Cut Program Won't Cut

Hello. Not sure if this is MACH 4 or operator error or something else??? I am working on cutting mounting slots for my Avid CNC and I created a test cut file with a single hole that I counter bore and then drill for attaching to the frame of the CNC Router. I then replicated that hole cut over 4 spots to test the spacing layout of the attachment holes to see if they align with the frame of the machine. I used the same cutting parameters other than material thickness. On the first cut, the program and machine execute just as I had expected. On the second cut with the 4 holes, the spindle starts rotating at work coordinate 0,0 and never moves. I've tried recreating the second tool path a couple of different ways thru V Carve pro but the result continues to be the same. And if I load a different g code file the machine cuts as expected. Pretty sure I have something wrong here... but just no idea what I'm missing... Any thoughts?

Re: Same Cut Program Won't Cut

Vcarve is very compatible with Mach 4 as long as you use the correct post processor.
    Which one are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avid CNC (Inch) (*.txt)

Try: Mach2/3 Arcs (mm)(*.txt).
    There may be an inch version also.
    I modified my copy to allow for the time it takes for a spindle to spool up.

I didn't notice this error before?

"Z Axis commanded over soft min"

what the heck did I do there?

You are sending commands to Mach that violate soft limits. Go to Mach forum or YouTube to review and set soft limits.

Thanks... my Z was set to max 0 and min -14

I thought maybe the safe height of 2" which was were the tool stopped after setting the start point for the work piece might be throwing it off... Can't remember what I discovered but changing the soft limits from 0 to -20 allowed the file to cut... although... the -20 was not a calculation so it would probably hit my frame if there was an error...

Soft limits make life easier, you should set them to match your actual physical envelope. Once in a while they save you from a broken tool or a junked part.

Quote Originally Posted by bwiab View Post
    Hello. Not sure if this is MACH 4 or operator error or something else??? I am working on cutting mounting slots for my Avid CNC and I created a test cut file with a single hole that I counter bore and then drill for attaching to the frame of the CNC Router. I then replicated that hole cut over 4 spots to test the spacing layout of the attachment holes to see if they align with the frame of the machine. I used the same cutting parameters other than material thickness. On the first cut, the program and machine execute just as I had expected. On the second cut with the 4 holes, the spindle starts rotating at work coordinate 0,0 and never moves. I've tried recreating the second tool path a couple of different ways thru V Carve pro but the result continues to be the same. And if I load a different g code file the machine cuts as expected. Pretty sure I have something wrong here... but just no idea what I'm missing... Any thoughts?
    The G-code program is some of your problem the Post Processor you are using is not very good

Try some different Post Processors, Mach4 will run with most Post Processors, you don't need one that is machine specific
    Mactec54