585,973 active members*
4,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki MV Junior

Hello

I work at a College in Victoria BC Canada we have a small CNC mill a Mori Seiki MV Junior with a FANUC M 10 controller. Recently one of our students encountered a problem while operating the machine. While we have managed to reset the tripped breakers and restore power to the servos we cannot clear or even interpret the following error message. "SV103 Z V_READY OFF" Any help getting the machine up and runing again would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

tcspooner

The Z axis servo drive is not turning on for some reason. It could be a blown fuse or a tripped breaker on the drive unit itself.

When you turn on the control, it boots up, then it sends a signal to each of the servos to turn on. Each servo has to respond with a "Velocity Unit Ready" or "V_Ready" signal within about 1/10 second, or else you will get this alarm.

Focus your attention on the Z servo amplifier and see if there is anything amiss. You might be able to see a red alarm LED on the servo board.

Hi Dan

Dan there is indeed a red LED light on on the servo board I don't have access to the controller guts today but I have had a look inside. If my recollection is correct it is the third or fourth led from the top on the vertical row of rectangular leds on the servo controller. Does this help?

tcspooner

Z axis may be past travel limit.

Z axis may be past travel limit.

I reset mine last week.

Have you fixed yours yet?

Mori

We Have The Same Machine And Control You Are On A Hard Limit
    You Can Try This.
    1- Power Down And Then Back Up Holding - And . When Powering Up
    2- Press 4
    3 N
    4-6
    This Lets You Power Up Even On Soft Limits. If This Does Not Work
    Power Down And Turn Z Ball Screw Cc And You Should Be Able To Power Up.
    Alarm Gives You The Impression That It Is Elect Problem It Is Not

I have an mv junior that when powered off the z axis starts dropping all on its own. there must be a breaking mechanism in there some where. any one got an idea? left alone the entire head will drop down over time. it causes ot alarm when powered on

TCSPOONER,

The third red led from top to bottom is HCAL and the fourht is OVC, both of them are alarms; the most probable thing is that the servo amplifier is bad, you can swap the one in the X or Y axes from the one in Z wit some precautions, check if the models are the same, they shall be something like A06B-6047-H00(x), if they are you must check that all jumpers from X or Y goes equal to Z and viceversa, this is very important; if you have someone in hand that knows about CNC service it will be very helpfull.

After swap the amplifiers and confirm that everything is ok turn on the machine and test, if the alarm is now in X or Y then the drive is bad, if it remains in Z put all back as original and check the cable that goes from the master board to the amplifier, if the cable is ok, then the motor could be bad.

Usually the problem is always in the amplifier, but you never know.

Good luck.

Greg.

okroyo,

Not all servo motors have a break, if you check the model of the motor you can see if there is a break inside seraching for that model on the web, if your motor has a break then you must adjust the break or maybe it has wear and you'll need to repair it; to do that i suggest someone that knows about motor repair. If it doesn't have a break then the problem could be in the wedges.

Greg.

Thanks for responding Greg. ive already determined that the fanuc 5 m is too small to have a break. im not sure what u r referring to as a wedge though. is that the height adjustment plate. we were thinking it might have something to do with the km nut being loose and not keeping the angular contact bearings tight. i dont know though.

MV JR will have a magnetic brake on the end of the ballscrew on top of the machine. Replace the Z axis belt while your there, those have been known to snap letting the head fall quickly. The brake is just worn out, and if you try to adjust it and get it wrong, you can burn up the axis motor after some time.