584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > High electrode wear and instable burn with thin electrodes on my DIY EDM machine

High electrode wear and instable burn with thin electrodes on my DIY EDM machine

Hi,

my newly selfbuild simple R/C EDM machine works well with 'normal' sized electrodes.

But with my needed slim sheets it only burns very instable and the wear is unacceptable (up to 300% vs Stainless steel (1.4571,V4A)) high.

The last thing I know to try is milling round E-Cu57 (sheet copper is a different grade?!) rods to sheets, finding the right graphite or try tungsten copper.

Has somebody any hints for me or is the only possibility for me to build a better pulse EDM ?

Does anybody know a good description for a pulse EDM matching my demands? (I have the pulse-EDM Book of Ben Fleming but its very complex without a microcontroller)

To make yourself a picture of my machine, my problems and my demands here is a YouTube Video:

Thanks for your interest and with best wishes

Ralf

Re: High electrode wear and instable burn with thin electrodes on my DIY EDM machine

I spent a few years as a toolmaker using standard manual and CNC EDM machines. There is a reason why fine detailed work needs more control than just your simple R/C setup. Fine work requires precise control of on and off times as well as current, voltage, frequency and polarity. If you simply want to burn out a tap then R/C will probably do. Fine high surface finish work is going to require some pain if you want to build a controller yourself. There is no way around it. It's a complex field with many variables. There are no shortcuts. Congratulations on what you have done so far. A great effort.

Re: High electrode wear and instable burn with thin electrodes on my DIY EDM machine

Maybe try using edm 244 oil instead of water? Just a suggestion. Also try and add more flushing. Discharge can build up causing erratic burning.