584,829 active members*
4,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > New Path Pilot, New PC, Missing Some Letters/Text On Monitor
Page 1 of 2 12

New Path Pilot, New PC, Missing Some Letters/Text On Monitor

I’ve been running Tormach’s Mach 3 since 2007. My last computer finally died and we were having a hard time building an XP computer now days. Decided to switch to PP.

My friend put together a PC that had Windows something or other. I installed PP and some letters and text is missing on the monitor. From what I remember, it was fine with Windows, but I didn’t do much with it while it was still Windows. I did the obvious stuff like changing cables and monitors, and there was no change. Could this be a PP issue or something with the computer it self? I am dumb with this stuff, and my friend that put the computer together admits he knows nothing about Linux.

Re: New Path Pilot, New PC, Missing Some Letters/Text On Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    I’ve been running Tormach’s Mach 3 since 2007. My last computer finally died and we were having a hard time building an XP computer now days. Decided to switch to PP.

My friend put together a PC that had Windows something or other. I installed PP and some letters and text is missing on the monitor. From what I remember, it was fine with Windows, but I didn’t do much with it while it was still Windows. I did the obvious stuff like changing cables and monitors, and there was no change. Could this be a PP issue or something with the computer it self? I am dumb with this stuff, and my friend that put the computer together admits he knows nothing about Linux.
    First thing is Mesa card needs to be installed in the computer and parallel cable from that card/port to mill.
    Next would be installing pp on the HD and boot up.
    What do you see? Should be pp splash screens before it asks for machine info.

Missing text I dont understand that part?

Pictures attached, I think…

I have no clue.
    Never seen that before
    Only guess would be corrupted install

What kind of cable are you using? Pathpilot doesnt always play nice with VGA, HDMI is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    What kind of cable are you using? Pathpilot doesnt always play nice with VGA, HDMI is recommended.
    The OG one I’ve always used. I’ll try HDMI tomorrow. May need to scrounge a newer monitor to try that has HDMI capability.

That looks like broken hardware, or perhaps an incompatible OS/graphics card driver.
    Pretty sure it's not the cable.

Did you install this from the official USB stick?
    If so, you'll need to find out what kind of graphics hardware is in the computer, and make sure you get working Linux graphics drivers for it.

I thought PP was based on Linux and not Windows?.

PP has nothing to do with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    That looks like broken hardware, or perhaps an incompatible OS/graphics card driver.
    Pretty sure it's not the cable.

Did you install this from the official USB stick?
    If so, you'll need to find out what kind of graphics hardware is in the computer, and make sure you get working Linux graphics drivers for it.
    Yes, it was installed with the USB stick from Tormach. I am thinking now it probably is the drivers for the graphics card, but I have no idea how to update them with PP.

the drivers for the graphics card, but I have no idea how to update them with PP
    PP runs a slightly-customized version of Linux Mint. You should be able to open a terminal, and do something like "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and get the latest available software for that version.
    *however* it may simply be that the hardware in question is not well supported by linux. Hard to tell without knowing what it is.
    You might be better off posting a question on the Linux Mint forums, describing the "broken text" symptom, and showing the output of running "lspci" in the terminal, and hope someone there knows the score.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    PP runs a slightly-customized version of Linux Mint. You should be able to open a terminal, and do something like "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and get the latest available software for that version.
    *however* it may simply be that the hardware in question is not well supported by linux. Hard to tell without knowing what it is.
    You might be better off posting a question on the Linux Mint forums, describing the "broken text" symptom, and showing the output of running "lspci" in the terminal, and hope someone there knows the score.
    Said he's got this PP installed on Windows.
    Likely a Windows graphics driver conflicct in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    PP has nothing to do with Windows.

How do you figurre tthat one?.
    You have a Linux based progoram installlled on Wiindows.
    You're asking for trouble when it comes to hardware driver conflicts.

When you install PP the hard drive is wiped. How would a Windows driver still be around?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    When you install PP the hard drive is wiped. How would a Windows driver still be around?

I installed PP on a Windows 10 ssd drive, it completely wiped windows and installed PP from the PP usb drive from Tormach.
    I did this on two different drives in two different computers, results were the same.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Said he's got this PP installed on Windows.
    Likely a Windows graphics driver conflicct in my view.
    The computer started out with Windows, like every Tormach control pre-PP, but once PP is installed, I believe everything to do with Windows is erased.

I asked around and best answer I got for this issue was broken, bent or missing pin on vga cable from card to monitor.
    I will say in all my years of building custom computers I never seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I asked around and best answer I got for this issue was broken, bent or missing pin on vga cable from card to monitor.
    I will say in all my years of building custom computers I never seen this.
    Every computer I have had in the past for this machine has had a DVI card. I've been using the same DVI/VGA adapter and cable to the same monitor since about 2007. This computer also has display port output. I'll see if I can dig up a monitor with either DVI or display port or both to try out direct without an adapter. I'm stull unsure if it's the cable though since the boot menu text is fine. But this stuff is all way outside my knowledge.

Removed graphics card and hooked up a monitor with a display port cable and it's all good now. Guess it didn't like the graphics card.

Removed graphics card and hooked up a monitor with a display port cable and it's all good now. Guess it didn't like the graphics card.
    Glad you got it fixed.........
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12