584,800 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor shaft collet chuck

hello
    I am 90% done with my milling machine. I made it rigid enough for 8 mm tool milling steel

My question

I found a motor that weigh around 15 kg and I want to attach ER20 to the end of the shaft motor.

motor name plate :
    phases : 2 phase or 1 phase
    the salesman told me 2 phase but the name plate says 1 phase
    volt : 220 volts
    Current : 11 amps
    horse power : 3
    cycles : 60 hertz

Is such arrangement common. I mean attaching the chuck directly to the shaft motor?
    the motor shaft is 19 mm and the ID of the chuck I have seen 16mm and 14 mm I did not complete my search yet to see if there are 19 mm.
    Most likely I have to machine the motor shaft if I go this route.

What type of fitting is such attachment (the chuck to the motor shaft) is it interference fit or what ?
    If it is interference fit does not the chuck comes lose when it gets hot when working the work piece?

I have seen some motor shaft collet chucks that have holes all the way through in the shaft axial way which indicates that ahole in the shaft need to be drilled . Is such arrangement common.

finally the VFD
    the motor speed as it is will be a little high for milling steel with 8 mm tool, will a VFD help with such motor?

does the Huanyang type VFD drive a single phase or a 2 phase motor?

many thanks for any hint or just putting me in the correct path

Philip

Re: Motor shaft collet chuck

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post
    hello
    I am 90% done with my milling machine. I made it rigid enough for 8 mm tool milling steel

My question

I found a motor that weigh around 15 kg and I want to attach ER20 to the end of the shaft motor.

motor name plate :
    phases : 2 phase or 1 phase
    the salesman told me 2 phase but the name plate says 1 phase
    volt : 220 volts
    Current : 11 amps
    horse power : 3
    cycles : 60 hertz

Is such arrangement common. I mean attaching the chuck directly to the shaft motor?
    the motor shaft is 19 mm and the ID of the chuck I have seen 16mm and 14 mm I did not complete my search yet to see if there are 19 mm.
    Most likely I have to machine the motor shaft if I go this route.

What type of fitting is such attachment (the chuck to the motor shaft) is it interference fit or what ?
    If it is interference fit does not the chuck comes lose when it gets hot when working the work piece?

I have seen some motor shaft collet chucks that have holes all the way through in the shaft axial way which indicates that ahole in the shaft need to be drilled . Is such arrangement common.

finally the VFD
    the motor speed as it is will be a little high for milling steel with 8 mm tool, will a VFD help with such motor?

does the Huanyang type VFD drive a single phase or a 2 phase motor?

many thanks for any hint or just putting me in the correct path

Philip
    The motor would have to be 3 Phase to be run with a VFD Drive, so 1 Phase is not suitable.

You could Loctite the chuck on to the motor shaft.

Normally a motor this size, drives a spindle, so attaching a ER collet chuck would not be Ideal.

There are not 2 phases so your sales person does not know what they are talking about, there is only 1 Phase and 3 Phase Ac systems
    Mactec54

many thanks mactec for very direct replies

OK

Now I understand that I have to use something like bt-30 power head belt driven. I am only worried about the load on the Z-stepper motor.

I am re-designing part of the machine because the Z-stepper motor is in the way.

While I was browsing I spotted the G-Penny spindle advertised as metal ( they specify iron ) working spindle. With min speed of 12000 rpm I suspect that it can cut steel other than ingraving.

this the one

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00sNMX5T&mp=1

quoted from Aliexpress site

2. Why customer who ordered said 12000rpm no torque, and working not good?
    A: We already contacted the customer Mager who said such problems, and finally we found this is the inverter setting problems, now he said it works well in 4000-15000rpm.

3. What is the difference between the wood working spindle and metal working spindle?
    A: Metal spindle use the iron shell, so the rigidity is better. Also metal spindle is pole=4, so it have big toruque in 12000rpm than wood working spindle. If you use wood working spindle for hard metal, the inside bearings will broken in 1-2 month . But if you use metal spindle , it can works well and for a long time.

Philip

many thanks mactec for very direct replies

OK

Now I understand that I have to use something like bt-30 power head belt driven. I am only worried about the load on the Z-stepper motor.

I am re-designing part of the machine because the Z-stepper motor is in the way.

While I was browsing I spotted the G-Penny spindle advertised as metal ( they specify iron ) working spindle. With min speed of 12000 rpm I suspect that it can cut steel other than ingraving.

this the one

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00sNMX5T&mp=1

quoted from Aliexpress site

Philip
    G-Penny make a good spindle

There is no difference between a wood working spindle and what they say can cut steel, they are the same spindle, the link is a 4 pole motor which will have more torque than the 2 pole motor, it is the minimum speed it can be used at, is normally the problem, with these spindles when it comes to cutting steel, and the rigidity of the spindle, they can engrave with out any problems as there is very little loading on these types of spindles, cutting steel with any of these spindles is marginal, and usually will not produce a very good finish, on the work piece.

The normal 2 Pole G-Penny has a minimum speed of 3,000 RPM, so I would think that this 4 Pole should be able to work ok at 3000 RPM as well, why they are saying 12,000 Minimum is very confusing, I think these sales people have it incorrectly advertised

They all have the same Stainless Steel spindle outer body

That spindle is a little better being 4 pole, but the minimum speed is 12.000RPM so you are not going to cut steel that well with it
    Mactec54

very good

I will test my nema-34 Z axis stepper motor to see if it can lift 35kg (The weight of bt-30 + )

if it can, I will place the order

many thanks

very good

I will test my nema-34 Z axis stepper motor to see if it can lift 35kg (The weight of bt-30 + )

if it can, I will place the order

many thanks
    There is so much to consider. NEMA 34 is a physical size of a motor. Not the power of a motor. You also need to calculate how you will actuate your z axis. Ball screw? ACME screw? Belt drive? Will it be counter balanced? Pulley drive ? Direct drive? There is a lot of information missing.