585,599 active members*
3,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > EdingCNC > EdingCNC Upgrade and other Problems with BZT PFX1000 CNC

EdingCNC Upgrade and other Problems with BZT PFX1000 CNC

Hello dear forum,

I bought a used PFX 1000, manufactured in 2010 by BZT. It's a big step for me, as I had only worked with a Shapeoko a few times before. However, I have done numerous tutorials and readings to prepare myself.

The used BZT milling machine I now have is equipped with an EdingCNC control unit, specifically the CPU5B model. The machine also came with a computer for controlling the CNC. The computer is functioning well, and I can connect it to the milling machine, although sometimes it can be quite complicated. The startup sequence must be followed precisely: first turn on the computer, then the milling machine, and then start the program. Otherwise, I end up in simulation mode.

After a successful start, I referenced the axes. Did I miss any steps in the startup process that I should have performed?

Most of the time, it works. The software running on the computer is USBCNC 3.5, which, from what I've read, is a very old software by EdingCNC. The computer connects to the machine via Ethernet, and the CNC module of the milling machine has the Ethernet extension for that purpose.

I can also successfully move the axes and load a G-code file. However, it seems that I can't load the file completely. When I load the file, I only see a blue "box" displayed, without a preview of the milling program, etc. Therefore, I'm unsure if I should start it. Also, the "box" is located outside the milling area, but I can correct this by setting the workpiece position beforehand. I assume this is how it should be? I noticed that loading the file only works if I omit the "Simulation" checkbox during file loading; otherwise, I get the error message "Loading Job failed."

Now, onto my actual problem: The computer's hardware is fine (AMD Quad Core CPU and 2GB RAM) - at least it should be sufficient for running EdingCNC / USBCNC. However, the computer is running an ancient Windows XP and the outdated USBCNC 3.5 software.

Therefore, I would like to wipe the computer, documenting everything beforehand (such as the settings in EdingCNC), add an SSD to the computer to improve performance, and then install Windows 7 and the latest EdingCNC software.

I wonder: Can I simply proceed with this plan? Where are the data/parameters for the milling machine stored - everything that is under the "Settings" section? Are they stored on the computer in the software or directly on the CPU5B and retrieved from there only? Do I need to do something additional, like some kind of calibration?

If the data is stored in the software, can I directly transfer the data to the latest EdingCNC version? Which settings are important to document and "migrate"? What else should I consider when upgrading to a new OS and new software in terms of ensuring the proper functioning of the milling machine?

What would you generally recommend I do before starting the first CNC program or loading the first G-code? For example, I thought about lubricating the linear guides. I also wonder if I can or should upgrade the controller (i.e., the USBCNC).

Lastly, I work with Fusion 360, like many others... For exporting the G-code, I used the EdingCNC/USBCNC post-processor, which should be correct, right? Are there any additional settings that are important? I didn't select a machine, or should I activate the Generic 3-axis CNC by Autodesk, for example?

For those who haven't stopped reading, here's another problem: The handwheel has an issue - or at least, I think so. All the buttons work fine, and I can select the axis in the software. However, the encoder wheel doesn't seem to work; when I turn it, the values of the X/Y/Z axis don't change. But I think the PC is receiving something because the blue bar (which seems to represent data transfer or something like that?!?) beneath the "HANDWHEEL" field moves when I turn the wheel.

I have attached some pictures of the errors, the settings page, and the milling machine here: https://cloud.spacyal.com/s/oLBiAXs8FqzZWRJ

Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry for the extensive nature of my questions...

Re: EdingCNC Upgrade and other Problems with BZT PFX1000 CNC

I'm not familiar with your machine, so I can't offer a lot of advice, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by spacyal View Post
    Therefore, I would like to wipe the computer, documenting everything beforehand (such as the settings in EdingCNC), add an SSD to the computer to improve performance, and then install Windows 7 and the latest EdingCNC software.

I wonder: Can I simply proceed with this plan?.
    Rather than wiping that system, I suggest that you acquire a 2nd computer running Windows7 and install "the latest EdingCNC software" on that 2nd machine. While in theory a backup/restore should work, if it doesn't you will be in a difficult situation. Also, before you change anything, I suggest seeing if EdingCNC offers a guide to moving files from an older computer. Presumably you would be buying "the latest EdingCNC software" and that should entitle you to some kind of transfer/installation support IMO.

Re: EdingCNC Upgrade and other Problems with BZT PFX1000 CNC

Well.. that is one way of tackling that prob.. erhm challenge..

Now, onto my actual problem: The computer's hardware is fine (AMD Quad Core CPU and 2GB RAM) - at least it should be sufficient for running EdingCNC / USBCNC. However, the computer is running an ancient Windows XP and the outdated USBCNC 3.5 software.

on the EdingCNC website there is a quite recent version still running fine on an XP machine (i know, since i built my CNC in 2007, updgraded it in 2013, and now, it is still running with the same PC, on Windows XP)

What is better to do, Just install a fresh EdingCNC (https://edingcnc.com/external/Softwa...p_v4.03.46.exe) which is the latest version supporting XP.

Just install in the default location, it will update your INI files and you will have no problem setting it up again.
    I have done numerous updates through the years, never had any problem with them..

Getting a new PC will also help, Just copy the folder of EdingCNC to it, and upgrade..(i also have a laptop which i dont use to run a machine, but to write macro's, it just has a copy of my EdingCNC folder running on that machine..

I