547,037 active members*
2,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > General MetalWork Discussion > making sure before I place the order
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    making sure before I place the order

    I want to buy BT-30 power head from this link


    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...c00OezPmD&mp=1

    I want to make sure that I buy the matching tool holder and collets for it.

    I have no ATC. I will manually replace the tools, It is confusing because there are so many types of tool holders

    I think this is the correct one

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...c00OezPmD&mp=1

    and the collet set there are numbering like ER16-1 and ER16-2 I want ER16 but not sure what is the differance between -1 and -2

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...c00OezPmD&mp=1



    I will place the order as soon as you kindly direct me if the items in the links match


    Philip

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12902

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post
    I want to buy BT-30 power head from this link


    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...c00OezPmD&mp=1

    I want to make sure that I buy the matching tool holder and collets for it.

    I have no ATC. I will manually replace the tools, It is confusing because there are so many types of tool holders

    I think this is the correct one

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...c00OezPmD&mp=1

    and the collet set there are numbering like ER16-1 and ER16-2 I want ER16 but not sure what is the differance between -1 and -2

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...c00OezPmD&mp=1



    I will place the order as soon as you kindly direct me if the items in the links match


    Philip
    That drive pulley is crazy on that spindle, the 2 sheave is ok but the 4 is crazy, you don't want a pulley like that to drive a 30 Taper spindle, the important thing with these spindles is that they have 2 angular contact Bearings in the front / nose of the spindle some of these only have a regular Deep Grove Ball Bearing and you don't want that, the best belt system is a Poly-V-Belt.

    That may be the price per collet

    On the tool holders get the shortest holder which I think it is 70mm I will look for shorter this will help if you don't have a lot of Z travel
    Mactec54

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That drive pulley is crazy on that spindle, the 2 sheave is ok but the 4 is crazy, you don't want a pulley like that to drive a 30 Taper spindle, the important thing with these spindles is that they have 2 angular contact Bearings in the front / nose of the spindle some of these only have a regular Deep Grove Ball Bearing and you don't want that, the best belt system is a Poly-V-Belt.

    That may be the price per collet

    On the tool holders get the shortest holder which I think it is 70mm I will look for shorter this will help if you don't have a lot of Z travel

    very good

    So I will read the specs about the type of bearings they have and I will check with the vendor.

    I already sent the vendor a question about the draw bar, they said the draw bar not included.

    it is M12X45 (as indicated in the table )

    I can buy it separate but they do not mention the length. I think I can cut it to the desired length. Never done this before.

    Many thanks for helping me avoiding ordering the wrong stuff.

    Best regards

    Philip

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    619

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Looks like a world of frustration with that spindle. Is there no option for a direct drive spindle? I suppose it all depends on your application.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12902

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post
    very good

    So I will read the specs about the type of bearings they have and I will check with the vendor.

    I already sent the vendor a question about the draw bar, they said the draw bar not included.

    it is M12X45 (as indicated in the table )

    I can buy it separate but they do not mention the length. I think I can cut it to the desired length. Never done this before.

    Many thanks for helping me avoiding ordering the wrong stuff.

    Best regards

    Philip
    Draw Bars are easy to make, A draw Bar has to be the correct length, there is normally not much thread so can not be made much shorter.

    To get the length you can make a temporary one using a 12mm threaded rod.

    This spindle lists the Bearing being used

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...23638043%22%7D
    Mactec54

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12902

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Looks like a world of frustration with that spindle. Is there no option for a direct drive spindle? I suppose it all depends on your application.
    If you have a spare $4,000 to $12,000 and up, you can get a direct drive spindle like this.
    Mactec54

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Great

    Almost there

    I have the spindle you linked as item in Aliexpress basket.


    Now the last question (haha)

    I have seen some milling heads spindles specifying a pull-stud M12x45 degree.

    Are such spindles different from the spindles that use draw-bar. ?

    If I buy a spindle that specifies M12X45 degree, can I use a draw-bar with it or its internal will be different meaning I have to use M12x45 pull-stud


    and if I use pull-stud instead of draw-bar, do I need compressed air/hydraulic oil to fix and remove the tool holder in the spindle.

    Which part is responsible for grapping the pull-stud in place inside the spindle?

    Many thanks

    Philip

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    876

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    There's a review on YouTube and some vids of these BT30 spindles in action.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxdyTR-wSA

    It looks fairly light-duty and low precision. Probably one where it's best to set expectations....

    I'd recommend buying it from an Ebay seller instead so you'd have some protection. Also, some ebay sellers include the drawbar.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    many thank

    I saw this video.

    He bought a bt-30 ATC one year later.

    Yes I was reluctant between AliExpress and ebay.

    What I observed with ebay that while they have large selection, they appear to be few of them because when you click the link to one of them you get very similar pages to the others. Which is kind of weird.

    Also some AliExpress vendors have free delivery.(The expensive ones like the one in the link in my very first post)

    In the video you linked, I think the run-out is in the tool holder not in the spindle shaft if I am not mistaken.

    Many thanks

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    701

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Yes, I believe you are correct,I think to measure the spindle run-out he should be measuring against the inside of the spindle taper.
    Halfnutz

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    I can not value enough all the posting here which helped me understand.

    I feel more confident now than a couple of days ago.



    Thanks all

  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    876

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post
    many thank

    I saw this video.

    He bought a bt-30 ATC one year later.

    Yes I was reluctant between AliExpress and ebay.

    What I observed with ebay that while they have large selection, they appear to be few of them because when you click the link to one of them you get very similar pages to the others. Which is kind of weird.

    Also some AliExpress vendors have free delivery.(The expensive ones like the one in the link in my very first post)

    In the video you linked, I think the run-out is in the tool holder not in the spindle shaft if I am not mistaken.

    Many thanks
    He measured both. You see him measuring with a run-out test bar inserted.

    The ones on ebay are the same as the Aliexpress variants and almost all offer free shipping. At least they do for delivery to America anyway.

    Some ebay sellers are based in and ship from America too, which I prefer. Shipping from China takes too long for me...

    There is only three models of this 50mm shaft BT30 spindle. The only difference is the bearings. The 6000 and 8000 rpm versions use angular contact bearings (7006 and 7007). The 3000rpm version uses deep groove (6006 and 6007).

    The 80mm and 90mm versions are all more expensive.

    I looked at these for myself a while ago when I was looking for a cheap 2nd spindle for low rpm facing aluminum. I understand that it's slim pickings at this price point but it's not the only option.

    I ended up buying an R8 spindle cartridge from Little Machine Shop. The one from their high torque large bench mill. They're suitable for up to 5,000rpm which as OK for me as I have a high speed spindle for 6,000-24,000.

    The LMS R8 cartridge is $187 and I had slightly more confidence in it's quality. The accessories for it like pulleys and mounts were also more readily available.

    I'm not sure I'd want to use either for milling steel or as my main / only spindle for aluminum though.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: making sure before I place the order

    I ordered from Aliexpress only one time before. It took over 90 days to recive the package. That was a while back during the begining of the COVID19. I was hoping they improved.

    All my orders from Amazon but ebay seem to have more stuff regarding spindles. I ordered and recived the Z-axis ball screw from ebay and few other stuff with no issues.

    I will give ebay another look as I have Friday and Saturday befor I can test the Z-axis stepper motor torque by performing physical test. the calculation looks OK. I am having in mind to order a spindle with angular contact bearings.

    I highly value your feed back it was very useful to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Good Place to Order Timing Belts and Pulleys?
    By wallyblackburn in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2018, 07:36 AM
  2. Welcomed to Place Order Through Alibaba Trade Assurance
    By linda_roctech in forum Roctech CNC Routers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 04:37 AM
  3. Place to order CNC parts in Canada
    By cybot in forum Canadian Club House
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
  4. How to prepare a FADAL 3060 to transport form place to place
    By Swykore in forum CNC Machining Centers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
  5. Help me place a order with ENCO.
    By ezland00 in forum Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 10:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •