584,800 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang VFD help needed

Huanyang VFD help needed

So... long story short..... I've been abusing my spindle A LOT the last couple of days trying to get a piece of steel flat for a welding table and my VFD just went pop. Funny thing is it wasn't even being loaded when it fried but it has had a rough life the last few days and both the spindle and VFD were cool to the touch. Just a one off little project to compliment a new TIG welder so not something I ever plan to do again or would recommend trying... you know... the kind of thing you would yell at your kids for trying. Anyway, it is a Huanyang 2.2kw VFD running a 2.2kw air cooled spindle. Went to order a new one and the 3.0kw is only $2 more so my question is if the 3.0kw VFD would be more robust or should I match the VFD and spindle again? Thanks for any help you guys can throw out.

Re: Huanyang VFD help needed

Did some digging and answered my own question.....

VFD bigger than Spindle - Good
    VFD smaller than Spindle - Bad

I don't really think there's going to be any difference. The Huanyang's seem to work perfectly fine, until they don't. I don't think how hard you use it is a factor in most cases. These are just guesses on my part, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry. I have the new one on order so hopefully I will be up and running soon.

I'm just anxious to get the welding table built and play with the new welder. I've been using my dad's old lincoln tombstone arc welder so switching over to TIG has been a new learning experience. As a woodworker I've been planning on a wood base for my next CNC but now I'm going to consider building a metal one. Probably stick with wood since that's what know best but sometimes it is nice to get outside my comfort zone.

The power you feed it with matters when sizing the VFD. If you feed a vfd with 1 phase power for a 3 phase spindle then you should get a larger one.

It needs to draw in more amps with 1 pH power so a 3kw 3ph spindle may overload a 3kw 3ph vfd,

If you seriously over-work your spindle to the point where it's damaging the VFD you'll usually see an overload error. At least, I do on my HY vfd.

If you were using it on steel, it's possible you were running the spindle at lower rpm than it can handle. I'm not sure if that would effect the vfd though.

In general, they aren't good quality VFDs. It could just be a component failure. I set my expectations in terms of how long a cheap Chinese anything will last.

Thanks. I am feeding it with single phase.... and there were a few overload errors. I did drill some holes at the lowest RPM setting (still way too fast to be drilling into steel but it did work even if it was a little scary to hit start each time) but was running it at 10k most of the time. For the most part my CNC is just a hobby machine but I do run a few jobs for hire but those are only a few times a year and never really time critical. For the cost of the spindle and VFD I really can't complain about how it has performed and still consider it a good deal. The VFD had been running fine for a few years and this particular project is something I'll never attempt again. Just one of the those things where you see if it will work and find out it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lambodesigns View Post
    Thanks. I am feeding it with single phase.... and there were a few overload errors. I did drill some holes at the lowest RPM setting (still way too fast to be drilling into steel but it did work even if it was a little scary to hit start each time) but was running it at 10k most of the time. For the most part my CNC is just a hobby machine but I do run a few jobs for hire but those are only a few times a year and never really time critical. For the cost of the spindle and VFD I really can't complain about how it has performed and still consider it a good deal. The VFD had been running fine for a few years and this particular project is something I'll never attempt again. Just one of the those things where you see if it will work and find out it didn't.
    The VFD Drive should have a larger capacity, than the spindle / motor, when using single phase supply, It also only take's ( 1 ) Parameter to be set incorrect to cause a problem also, even though it ran for years, if the over load Parameters are not set correct, when you hit an overload and this happens a few times the damage is done, you should also check the spindle also to see that it is not got any damage

With a meter check the spindle plug Pins

Pin 1 to Pin 2 =

Pin 2 to Pin 3 =

Pin 3 to Pin 1 =

Pin 4 to spindle body continuity test for this Pin
    Mactec54