586,005 active members*
5,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Need to replace Dynapath 20 control with new control

Need to replace Dynapath 20 control with new control

Hello;
    I bought a Compumill 4000 knee mill from Ebay in January. It ran great until now. I do not know alot about electronics, but if I have to put a lot of $$$$ in circuit boards I will update the electronics. I have been reading some posts from zoners who are doing this, I do not fully understand what components are needed and the cost. If some conversion veterans could tell me thier opinions on what components to use I would be greatful. I will give you a rundown of what I know about the mill. It is a Compumill 4000 1986 model cold by Compumachine Inc. in Danvers Mass. It has a 5HP variable speed NMTB 40 spindle, travels are X=30" Y=17" Z=6" on the quill and about 14" on the power knee(not cnc just push button) It has Baldor UM3015 servo drive and Baldor 500oz/in servos, flood coolant, and power drawbar. This thing is huge standing nearly 9 feet high, the spindle is very quiet and smooth, I did a complete disassembly/cleaning so I know the turcite ways are in great shape, so I think it is well worth keeping. I live in central Ohio if some people would want to take part in a couple of weekend thrashes I will provide plenty of food and beer. Or just advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Joe

If you sell the Dynapath 20 control let me know I am looking for one to put on an old bridgeport cnc. My other machine has that control and I like to standardize. [email protected]

The upgrade I thought was because the Dynapath would not work anymore. I since have found the problem(loose connector). I will stick with the Dynapath for now. I would like feedback from other zoners on compoments they prefer to use and why. This way I can plot a plan when I need or decide to upgrade. When I do upgrade I will sell or ebay the old electronics.

Thank you
    Joe

Maybe late for the thread, but a co-worker picked up an XLO with a non-functioning Dynapath Delta20. We had plans to keep the Baldor servos and amps and the control boxes. The plan was to use the Dynomotion brand Kflop and Kanalog and run mach3 from a touchscreen in the original control box.

I say "had plans" until the Nashville flood of 2010.