584,829 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Seeking advice: 2x4' router with ATC spindle for $10-15k

Hybrid View

Question Seeking advice: 2x4' router with ATC spindle for $10-15k

Hi all,

I apologise if this topic has been covered numerous times; I searched and scrolled but only found threads that were many years old.

I'm wanting to buy a CNC router to process hardwood and some light aluminium, with a 2' x 4' working area and an ATC spindle (preferably air-cooled). My budget is ~$15k and it would ideally be turnkey (or close to). I've been looking into the Stepcraft Q.204, but am a little concerned by the round rails on the Y-axis (instead of linear guides) and the lead screw on the Z-axis (instead of a ball screw).

Other makes that offer products in this segment that I've looked at (Axiom, Shopbot, Camaster). It looks like the Laguna iQ Pro does come with a 2x4' table option that puts it just outside this budget (~$16k). For $15k I should be able to piece together a solution with AvidCNC, but I'd rather get a turnkey solution (and it looks like the Avid uses rack and pinion rather than ball screws for X/Y-axes).

I'd love any other suggestions to look into and/or experiences with the Stepcraft Q that might allay my fears.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should add that I'm planning on working on smaller, detailed parts so repeatability and precision is very important to me.

Re: Seeking advice: 2x4' router with ATC spindle for $10-15k

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureTim View Post
    Hi all,

I apologise if this topic has been covered numerous times; I searched and scrolled but only found threads that were many years old.

I'm wanting to buy a CNC router to process hardwood and some light aluminium, with a 2' x 4' working area and an ATC spindle (preferably air-cooled). My budget is ~$15k and it would ideally be turnkey (or close to). I've been looking into the Stepcraft Q.204, but am a little concerned by the round rails on the Y-axis (instead of linear guides) and the lead screw on the Z-axis (instead of a ball screw).

Other makes that offer products in this segment that I've looked at (Axiom, Shopbot, Camaster). It looks like the Laguna iQ Pro does come with a 2x4' table option that puts it just outside this budget (~$16k). For $15k I should be able to piece together a solution with AvidCNC, but I'd rather get a turnkey solution (and it looks like the Avid uses rack and pinion rather than ball screws for X/Y-axes).

I'd love any other suggestions to look into and/or experiences with the Stepcraft Q that might allay my fears.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should add that I'm planning on working on smaller, detailed parts so repeatability and precision is very important to me.

The Laguna is by far the best option. The stepcraft has some bizarre features like a long belt drive system and the bearings you mentioned. Shopbot is good but expensive for the size you're looking for. Camaster is OKAY, but does not have the nice bearing system and screw drive on all axis like the Laguna. ATC isn't even an option, and it's gantry is limited to 9" as an upgrade. Dollar for dollar, Laguna is a better value than all of the other options.