584,826 active members*
5,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multiple Work Offsets

Hey guys,

I have 3 work offsets, all tools are set off of G54 Z zero plane (top of complete part) but when I measured the distance between the top of G54 to G55 & G56 (same height) only one of my tools was at the right height for G55 and G56. All other tools were above G55/56 by 10.81mm, I made sure there was a G43 in each tool call up so the correct height is being called for. I can't seem to see why all of my tools are above my other parts, I am creating a waterfall from one vise to the next. G55 and G56 are right next to each other in their own soft jaws and are the same height. My offset for G55/56 is -10.81mm so that is why this is so odd. Tool 1 is the only tool that is working between the two correctly tho but the other 8 are not. I am using Fusion 360 but I don't believe this to be a CAM problem, G code is correct on screen.

Re: Multiple Work Offsets

How are your setting all the tool offsets in the tool table? With offline tool setter or electronic tool setter or other method?
    How are you setting work offsets g54, g55, g56.. with a probe? or other method. And in this case how are you setting the g54 z , g55 z, g56 z work offset?
    If all 3 work offsets on z axis g54,g55,g56 are the exact same height on the machine fixture then they should be the same in the work offsets table. and looking at work offsets table only the x and y offsets values would different.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    How are your setting all the tool offsets in the tool table? With offline tool setter or electronic tool setter or other method?
    How are you setting work offsets g54, g55, g56.. with a probe? or other method. And in this case how are you setting the g54 z , g55 z, g56 z work offset?
    If all 3 work offsets on z axis g54,g55,g56 are the exact same height on the machine fixture then they should be the same in the work offsets table. and looking at work offsets table only the x and y offsets values would different.
    I touched my tools off manually using a 123 block and make sure to calculate that distance in the z touch off. As for my work offsets I use an edge finder. My 55 and 56 heights are the same but my 54 to the other two are different. A difference of 10.81 mm. As for my Z on the work offsets, I jus I make my one I set all my tools off zero and then using a test indicator I measure the distance between the top of that to the top g55 and g56.

From what I can tell by your method.
    You need to set the z work offset for all 3 of the work offsets g54 , g55 , g56 using the same tool.
    To do this you need to load the tool in spindle set the tool number in lower right corner of pp. Then in midi line type g54 and set machine to that offset then move tool and touch off z at the g 54 location and zero the z offset on main window. Using the same tool repeat the steps and type in midi line g55 and move and touch off z height again at the g 55 location and zero it again with that offset active. Do the same for g56. Now the z work offset for all three locations are set with the same tool.
    If they are all close to same height on mill table the work offsets for z should be very close or the same as I noted above if you look at the work offset table.
    This should work fine if the program is setup correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    From what I can tell by your method.
    You need to set the z work offset for all 3 of the work offsets g54 , g55 , g56 using the same tool.
    To do this you need to load the tool in spindle set the tool number in lower right corner of pp. Then in midi line type g54 and set machine to that offset then move tool and touch off z at the g 54 location and zero the z offset on main window. Using the same tool repeat the steps and type in midi line g55 and move and touch off z height again at the g 55 location and zero it again with that offset active. Do the same for g56. Now the z work offset for all three locations are set with the same tool.
    If they are all close to same height on mill table the work offsets for z should be very close or the same as I noted above if you look at the work offset table.
    This should work fine if the program is setup correctly.
    I will give that a shot. I have never had an issue with this method on Haas, okuma, matsura, and Mori so that's why I am so confused. It is the same standard that has been in 2 of the shops I've worked in. Thank you so much for your help and I will continue to have patience for path pilot.

Please keep in mind, I only have about 3 years under my belt with CNC, so this maybe more for me than OP. I have parts I move, flip over etc... as long as I have a new WCS for each setup, I'm golden. Is that ultimately what were talking about here? Are the g codes discussed in this thread talking the same thing? Obviously the TOOL offsets are stored in PP, the WORK offsets ARE the WCS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    Please keep in mind, I only have about 3 years under my belt with CNC, so this maybe more for me than OP. I have parts I move, flip over etc... as long as I have a new WCS for each setup, I'm golden. Is that ultimately what were talking about here? Are the g codes discussed in this thread talking the same thing? Obviously the TOOL offsets are stored in PP, the WORK offsets ARE the WCS?
    In my world it works that way, yes
    I use sprutcam and in that program you set wcs at some logical place on the model or they are imported from cam.
    When creating a wcs or defining them you also specify what g code offset you want to go with that wcs offset like g54 - g59+
    Then when you generate g code it assigns the specified offset g54 to g59 to the wcs that you located on the model.
    Same for multi part fixtures, I can assign a wcs to each part then it generates a different g code offsets for each part.

The different method I explained above is because of his method for tool height settings. I use a probe to set xyz. He was using a tool to set z