585,727 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Any benefit to a dedicated Y2++ limit input?

Any benefit to a dedicated Y2++ limit input?

The inputs on my MX4660 for my DIY control system currently uses a dedicated input for Y1--, but I have tied my Y2-- and Y2++ limit switches into a single input. I'm not having any problems with this configuration. The machine homes and the limit switches stop the machine like they should. I have a couple spare inputs that I'm not using. Is there any tangible benefit to putting Y2++ on its own input? I can't think of any, but I figure what the hay?

Re: Any benefit to a dedicated Y2++ limit input?

Quote Originally Posted by SKY-FLIX View Post
    The inputs on my MX4660 for my DIY control system currently uses a dedicated input for Y1--, but I have tied my Y2-- and Y2++ limit switches into a single input. I'm not having any problems with this configuration. The machine homes and the limit switches stop the machine like they should. I have a couple spare inputs that I'm not using. Is there any tangible benefit to putting Y2++ on its own input? I can't think of any, but I figure what the hay?
    There would be no benefit, if it is working correct why would you want to change it.
    Mactec54

If you home to the lower left then you definitely need Y-,X- and Z+. You could put them on the same line(in Mach). However if you have two Y steppers you need another input for the right Y-. Why cover Y+ & X+? In case you cut or jog that far. I don’t see the need for a Z- input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I have X-- and X++ tied to an input, Y1-- on it's own input, with Y2-- and Y2++ tied together, and Z++ on its own. I initially had my Y2++ tied in with Y1--, and the machine still worked normally, but the default diagnostics screen in the Avid screen set always looked weird when the switches were triggered, so I moved the Y2 inputs together. Like I said, I'm not having any problems at all. The machine homes perfectly, and if for some reason I try to jog too far in the Y direction without homing first, the stop works correctly as well. I'll just leave everything alone.

I assume that all limit switches can be tied to a single input, except for a slave axis where two can touch two simultaneously. There you need another input. Reason being is the machine just stops moving if any axis limit is tripped. The typical number of inputs is four by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk