585,585 active members*
3,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle rated vs peak amps

Spindle rated vs peak amps

Hi, could anyone advise if I should set the vfd to the rated spindle current or the max (peak) one in order to get maximum performance from it?

Odoslané z M2007J3SG pomocou Tapatalku

Re: Spindle rated vs peak amps

Quote Originally Posted by azrael_sk View Post
    Hi, could anyone advise if I should set the vfd to the rated spindle current or the max (peak) one in order to get maximum performance from it?

Spindle name plate Rated Amps is normally used, if you have the Peak amps rating, then use that. 7.8 is close to normal, although a little low, for that 2.2 Kw motor, the normal being 8.5A to 10A for that 2.2Kw size spindle, so use the peak Amps rating for the Parameter setting.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Spindle name plate Rated Amps is normally used, if you have the Peak amps rating, then use that. 7.8 is close to normal, although a little low, for that 2.2 Kw motor, the normal being 8.5A to 10A for that 2.2Kw size spindle, so use the peak Amps rating for the Parameter setting.
    OK, thanks for your input.
    I got it set to rated amps now, but was wondering if I can set it higher safely and as you wrote it is indeed higher for other 2.2 kW spindles I've seen.
    The Invertek VFD is OK up to 10.5 A so should be fine with the 9.2 A peak.

They usually state a time limit for peak (s6) of something like 30 minutes while the rated current (S1) is for continuous use.

I personally would never set my VFD above the rated specs. Any potential benefit would be negligible compared to the risk. It's not going to add any capability.

Most people will only ever use a tiny fraction of their spindle's rated power anyway. I've yet to use more than 15% on mine when cutting aluminum.

If you're stalling your spindle your feeds and speeds are set wrong. Overloading the spindle is very unlikely to help.