585,597 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PWM controller

Anybody know of a good (digital) PWM chip?

I have an app (motion control with a DMX lighting interface) where I have to control a lot of channels via PWM chopping. (far more than are available on any microcontroller)

In an ideal world, I need a 10 bit PWM chip with some sort of serial interface (I'm gonna daisy-chain them). I'd decode my DMX interface in one master controller and feed 32 channels out to the PWM chips

I know I could roll my own by programming a bunch of PIC's to do the function, but I'd like to minimize the number of programmed parts.

An ATtiny2313 has 4 pwm channels, although two of them are 8 bit. It has both a uart for typical serial, a unerversal serial interface and SPI. SPI might be a more suitable choice for a daisy chain. Whats DMX?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

DMX, also called DMX512 = Digital MultipleX, a serial command format developed by the stage lighting industry used to control large arrays of lighting equipment in concerts and similar venues.

My little branch of the CNC world is motion control equipment for the film and video industry.

Currently we're working on, of all things, a year-long stop-motion animated puppet movie, and there's a huge amount of numerically controlled equipment, including animated lighting that moves in sync with the robotic cameras .

The post is, I suppose, technically off topic, but it's related enough that I figured nobody would mind too much.