585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tool changer issue

Morning People
    I have a partner Mill which when turned on requires me to press the reset button on the vfd before it will function. it never did that in the past.
    Also had to replace the vfd because milltronics lied to me and said it will run fine from single phase power, which fried the drive. Replaced it with another but now can not get the spindle to orient itself to do a tool change. The machine works find other then that and the tool changer will rotate if given the correct mdi command. Can someone shed light as to how I may fix this. I tried to change the jog rotation speed to see if it was to slow but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks
    Stan

Re: tool changer issue

Did you replace it with the same VFD? And does your old VFD still turn on? Basically, the machine doesn't do as much as you'd think to control the spindle. It just sends signals to the VFD, and if the inputs, outputs, and program settings on the VFD itself aren't exactly the same, you can get unexpected results. The VFD has it's on programmable PLC that needs to be programmed and setup properly to work.

Basically, when you fire a, M19 (spindle orient), it tells the VFD to execute a program. That program should start spinning at a specified speed in a specified direction (set on the VFD) until it gets the orientated signal, which is usually just a switch on the spindle. So, If the input for the M19 signal isn't set up, or the M19 program isn't setup on the VFD, or if the spindle orientate signal isn't going where the VFD is looking, all of those things could prevent it from successfully orientating the spindle for a tool change.

So first thing, Does the machine do anything when you fire a M19?

If it turns and never stops, check if you are getting the spindle orientate signal on the controller.

If you're getting the orientate signal on the controller, you need to check the connection on the VFD and make sure it's set up to see orientate signal.

If your new VFD is the same as the old one, and if you old VFD still turns on, you should be able to navigate through the menus and match all the settings. If it's a different VFD, you'll have to cross-reference everything, but pretty much any industrial programmable VFD can be setup to work.