585,591 active members*
2,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Thread milling with a little X2?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Thread milling with a little X2?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
    Kawazuki - Thread milling relies on the three axis, X,Y and Z interpolating the thread pitch and diameter of the helix. The cutter, usually a single thread profile, is fed into the helix, and it is assumed that the cutter will cut the entire thread on one pass. This is not a problem, because your spinning that cutter in the thread at 1500-3000 rpm and moving it along the helix as slowly as you want to. Normally, you don't have to run any more than one pass, but as long as you start the helix at the same exact X and Y co-ordinate, it should cut right back into the helix. The problem with thread milling, is that if you want to use a multi tooth form tool, you have to have different form tools for each pitch. Otherwise, if you use a single tooth double angle thread mill, you have to have one small enough to cut inside the diameter of the bore. For external threads, of course, this is not an issue. Otherwise, the problem is that you have to cut the entire helix with a single tooth three or four flute mill, and its very time consuming. Much too time consuming for production work. Using a multi tooth form mill can speed up the time, but there are other problems making sure you move fast enough to clear the chip load, and other issues. Its more complicated than I can fully grasp. That's why the toolmakers usually have their own software to figure out exactly how each of their mills will perform, what pitches and profiles they can cut, and they program the g-code for you. AS LONG as you buy their 175 dollar thread mill.

I'm being facetious really, as Mactec54 has pointed out, threadmills can be had for 30 dollars and up. The problem I have with them is they are so tiny, and I break things.
    If you are going to break the cutter, then you will do the same with the thread mill, you are going to try and use, I will be surprised if you can use that thread mill, what Milling machine do you have.
    Mactec54

Re: Thread milling with a little X2?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you are going to break the cutter, then you will do the same with the thread mill, you are going to try and use, I will be surprised if you can use that thread mill, what Milling machine do you have.
    Its a Little Machine shop HiTorque X2, with the Fusion CNC ballscrew kit and the G540 controller. Yes, its a big mill for that little machine, especially into steel, but I'll play around with it and try. I have a RF45 also, but I'm not done with the conversion of it. If that cutter is too much for the X2 I'll save it for the RF45 and wait to use the single profile double angle thread mill I ordered. And I am surely not worried about breaking that big thread mill. Its the little ones I was looking at first, with 0.105in. necks that I was worried about breaking. I ended up finding a double angle with a 0.254in. neck.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 2 of 2 12