584,812 active members*
5,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Idea for "beefing" up the old x2

Idea for "beefing" up the old x2

I saw it a while a go , a open-source cnc mill that used a granite surface plate as a base .
    Got me thinking what if i got a piece of granite countertop and bolt it under the little x2 .
    A 12 x 18 inch slab polished can be found reasonably cheap . Think it would help ?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Re: Idea for "beefing" up the old x2

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxk View Post
    I saw it a while a go , a open-source cnc mill that used a granite surface plate as a base .
    Got me thinking what if i got a piece of granite countertop and bolt it under the little x2 .
    A 12 x 18 inch slab polished can be found reasonably cheap . Think it would help ?

If it doesn't have the solid column and instead has the big nut on the back for tilting it, that is the main area that needs addressing and stiffening up.
    All mills indeed ideally need a nice mounting surface too.

Thx, yes thats been taken care with a 0.75 x 4 x 15 inch steel plate

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

I wasted loads of money on mine. In the end no matter how solid it is, the carriage/table are a big flaw. There's no getting away from table twist whilst milling.
    It's now just sat there half in bits.
    If you could manage to fit DFU nutted screws in there to solve it and/or rip it apart to fit linear rails it would be solid.
    Is it worth it.... No.

Admitting defeat and buying a 1.1kw PM25 sized machine to tinker with instead of wasting more effort was the best decision.

The weakest part of these mills is the connection of the column to the base. If you are not fixing that you are not fixing the problem.
    The next worse part is the machining tolerances of the dovetails and slides.

What you are suggesting might improve something, somewhere, no denying that. But it might help maybe 2% of the problem. Is it worth it? only you can answer that.